First time wiring a converter--dummy questions....

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby dhazard » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:47 pm

I think that your battery might be bad. Try running the converter without the battery connected. The fan should not be on with no load. Without the battery and no load the converter will still output about 13~14 volts.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:18 am

I'm a little late seeing this thread. Steve T helped me with my WFCO instructions also. If I remember correctly we worked jointly on that diagram. I put two 15 amp 110 VAC breakers in the converter, one to each of two 110 VAC outlets in my TTT, and wired the 110 VAC as below. My wires labeled Shore Cable run to a 30 amp main breaker in the tongue box, then out via a 30 amp cable to the 30 amp socket at home or camp site.

I don't show the 12 VDC wiring in this diagram, but wired as Steve T shows...white to battery neg, red to batery pos. The other three are one each to two DC outlets and the third for the interior lights, daisy-chained in sequence, as they don't total more than 5 or 6 watts. I first hooked up AC portion of the converter, with the chassis ground and turned it on to check it. The fan blipped and went off, no fuses blew. Then, I hooked up the battery and still no fuses blew. I then tested all circuits, ran the lights and A/C unit, and everything worked fine and still does.

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:08 am

Dale,

Thanks for your note. I have set this issue aside while I get the trailer road ready (with or without electric) But, to simplifuy things, I have followed the wiring diagram you and Steve worked out. what might make things easier is to know what fuses you have inserted on THE AC side--starting at the top with the battery circuit (red) through the three branch circuits and ending with the reverse battery ciruit at the bottom.

My converter came with a 30 amp fuse in the reverse battery circuit (the bottom-most circuit. All the rest were empty....what did WFCO folks in those?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Wiring to loads from converter....

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:01 pm

Friends,

I have a question about wiring my 12 volt receptacle to my WFCO converter.

Steve's diagram shows the red, green and yellow wires going to the load. Question: does it go to load DIRECTLY or VIA the fuse panel, with a shunt going from the fuse panel to the lead?

Thanks,

Jim

Image[/quote][/quote]
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets