Black, White, Green--AC, DC wire question...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 pm

The converter I have--the wfco one--has stranded wire on both the dc and ac sides...looks to be the same # of strands as any wire I have in the same size. If you mean solid vs stranded as ac vs dc (?) I thought that solid ware was not a good thing in a vibrational place like a boat, trailers etc...(?)

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 pm

kayakrguy wrote:The converter I have--the wfco one--has stranded wire on both the dc and ac sides...looks to be the same # of strands as any wire I have in the same size. If you mean solid vs stranded as ac vs dc (?) I thought that solid ware was not a good thing in a vibrational place like a boat, trailers etc...(?)

Jim

You can use sold wire but you have to fasten it down very well to keep it from moving all by it’s self. If the wire does move different than the vehicle, it will eventually break. If it breaks’ in the wall cavity, you may have a real problem fixing it. Stranded wire will last longer before it breaks! More little wire’s to break. If the vibration is bad enough any wire will fail! If you look into a 1960’s car radio, you will see the wiring, in a harness. That is tied with a waxed string and fastened to the chassis to keep any movement of the wires inside the radio. Back then they use sold wire! :?

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Leon » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:29 am

Dale M. wrote:The problem here is amaturer electricians doing home wiring on TD may not be informed enough to use or reconize the two different wire types, one for AC and one for DC...

Dale

If you guys are using 18 - 20 ga automotive primary wire to run 120V because you're not informed, please don't camp near me. I don't want my teardrop to burn because it's too close to the ball of fire next to me. :oops:

kayakrguy wrote:If you mean solid vs stranded as ac vs dc (?)

Nope - never said that. But there is different insulation used on 120V household wire than automotive primary wire. Compare what's used for a telephone to 12 Ga type NM wire used in construction.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets