Anyone using Concorde or Optima Yellow-Top batteries...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Anyone using Concorde or Optima Yellow-Top batteries...

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm

I found a lot of posts with Optima, and the Yellow Top comercial deep-cycle Optima is one I am looking at.

But, I find a lot of good talk about Concorde at other websites. They seem to be the "choice" battery for the tree-huggers, so to speak. They turn up in a lot of home solar system applications, it seems.

I want an AGM-type battery that can take the bouncing of a light trailer -- as we all do. I'd like to get some feedback on these two.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:42 pm

I'm using an Optima Blue top. Got it at Sam's Club.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Blue top v. Yellow top

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:23 pm

Are not the blue top the true deep cycle batteries and the Yellow top the "dual purpose" marine starting / deep cycle one. Everything I have read says "stay away from the dual purpose batteries".
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:29 pm

...everything you wanna know about Optima batteries...
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:48 pm

madjack wrote:...everything you wanna know about Optima batteries...
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/
madjack 8)

Holy Crap-

Red & Blue Starting, Blue & Yellow Deep Cycle?

In referencing applications they seem to point ya in any one of the three different directions!

There doesn't seem to be a real clear line of delineation as far as color VS application.

They all sorta seem to run together OR is it just me?:roll:

Anyway...I bought the BIG honking yellow top & I love it.

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Larwyn » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:26 pm

I got the same blue top from Sam's club as Rocky. Even though the Escape Pod is still under construction I have put the battery through it's paces, using the lights and fantastic fan at times. It is always maintained via the Deltran charger. I think I am going to like that battery.

I recently replaced the battery in my Silverado with a Red top Optima. The main reason is that I have another truck that I use for work and often leave the Silverado neglected for weeks at a time. The Optima does seem to hold a charge at a higher voltage than the original battery that came with truck after such neglect.

So far I am a fan of the Optima battery.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm

I think it is
Yellow= combo start/deep cycle
Red= starting
Blue= deep cycle

Then I find out that there are combo blues. It gets confusing. It's best to read their website.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Re: Blue top v. Yellow top

Postby Dooner » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 am

Guy wrote:Are not the blue top the true deep cycle batteries and the Yellow top the "dual purpose" marine starting / deep cycle one. Everything I have read says "stay away from the dual purpose batteries".

Optima only makes starter batteries (red=vehicles/blue=marine) and dual purpose starter/deep cycle batteries (yellow/blue=marine). So you can't stay away from the dual purpose if you want a battery designed to take a deep discharge.

Thanks for that link Madjack. That cleared alot up for me.
Dooner.
Image Image

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT!
Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Re: Blue top v. Yellow top

Postby madjack » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:09 am

Dooner wrote:
Thanks for that link Madjack. That cleared alot up for me.

...your welcome...we do aim to please(whenever possible)....................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:33 pm

Well, I am really looking for a true deep-cycle battery. I don't need cold-cranking amps -- just long-lasting power.

The solar energy batteries, like the Concorde, are this type, but I don't know how they will do when bounced around in a light trailer. Most sites that talk about them are in reference to home solar systems.

But, I may be trying to get more than I need. That's why I asked about the Optimas. I thought the Yellow top line might have a deep-cycle only model, but maybe not.

I'm looking at a simple set-up. I just want lights, a fan, and the ability to plug in my laptop. No audio/video or air-conditioning. I may not need as much of a battery as I think I do.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dooner » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Hey CD,
The Optima deep cycle is considered a true deep cycle battery. Don't let the dual purpose fool you. It shows to have a store charge life of at least a year. It is also designed to be discharged down to 10.5 volts and won't hurt it if you don't charge it right away.
I don't think you will go wrong getting one of these. I've made up my mind, I'm getting at least one for my GB when I get ready for it. It has a price, but you get what you pay for.

:D
Dooner.
Image Image

Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby rasp » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:28 pm

the brand i have is trojan. they were recomended by some rv friends. little more expensive than the ones from the box stores but they should do a fine job. and they do have a romantic name :lol:
http://www.trojan-battery.com/
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:40 pm

I've never been without battery power. The longest we've camped without plugging in was 4days at IRG. We usually plug in when we run the aircondidioner, the battery is for the lights and fantastic fan.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dooner » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:49 pm

asianflava wrote:I've never been without battery power. The longest we've camped without plugging in was 4days at IRG. We usually plug in when we run the aircondidioner, the battery is for the lights and fantastic fan.

Asianflava,
What model # are you using? You say it is just for lights and fan? How many lights? Are they just regular 12 volt lights or LEDs? And I'm guessing one fan. You don't run any audio or video?

We are going to have to get together sometime, so I can get an upclose and personal view of that TD of yours. I have some inlaws in Georgetown. And your only about 45 minutes from me.
Dooner.
Image Image

Dooner
Gold Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm

toypusher
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets