Solar panel question?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Solar panel question?

Postby Woody » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:13 pm

I just got a 60 watt panel from a storm damaged sailboat. Does any body know or could recomend a decent controller/charger company. All I want to do is basicly charge/maintain my battery packs in my teardrop.
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby denverd0n » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:53 pm

Here's a link to Northern Arizona Wind & Sun. They have the best prices I've been able to find on most solar-related products.

http://www.solar-electric.com/
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:47 pm

Try this link
http://www.etaengineering.com/regulators/pbr.shtml
They have the best price that I could find for an 80 watt package deal. I haven't looked at the individual pieces though.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:17 pm

We bought our charge controller from affordable solar. Talked to him on the phone and he recommended a $39 controller, since we insisted we were not going to expand our system. We have a KC-65 Panel!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:38 am

I received my h/f solar panel. Unpacked it and found the power cable was missing... called them up. They will have ups p/u the dud, send me a new one... price was $50, giving me the new one for $30.... that's what I call service.....

Posted 2 new pics in album.... one of finished front with tv/heater/spot for a/c, and another showing the tear lowered 3" by flipping the axle onto the top of the springs..... looks a lot less 'bulbous'.

And, I wet sanded the tear with 400 grit, then waxed it... hope to gain one mpg on trip to VA, leaving tomorrow a.m... first outing of the year.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby purplepickup » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:53 am

arnereil wrote:I received my h/f solar panel. Unpacked it and found the power cable was missing... called them up. They will have ups p/u the dud, send me a new one... price was $50, giving me the new one for $30.... that's what I call service.....

Arne, by the price I'm guessing that's the 5w panel. If it is, I'd be interested on your opinion of it after using it a while. I'm thinking of putting one on the roof of my cabin to keep the deep cycle battery topped off when we're not there. It would be a lot easier than lugging the battery home to recharge. I'm thinking the slow charge would be good for the battery too.
George
:)
purplepickup
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:40 am

That is one of the selling points of the 5w (on the box)... says it will make battery last longer... am trying to think of a way to roof mount it with a travel cover so it doesn't get kicked around..... Probably right behind the roof vent.

Will work on that when I get a good one. 5 watts isn't much, but could add another day to a no-shore-power situation.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Return to Electrical Secrets