Learning the hard way

Anything electric, AC or DC

Learning the hard way

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:51 pm

Learning the hard way

A while back I put in two extra 12 volt plugs in the cabin to run our Electro-Warmth Bunk Warmer which is fantastic, oh so warm & comfortable :thumbsup: . I used the uninsulated solderless terminal connectors for the side terminal connection since I had them on hand & it was inside the tear. Image
I put electrical tape on them just for good measure as usual (I use the insulated ones on the exterior where needed). Everything worked just fine until the day I took the tear to the car wash. Unbeknownst to me, apparently the vibration made one of those female connectors come loose. Several days passed with us using the bunk warmer plugged into another outlet until I had time to see what had gone wrong. Last night I noticed the batteries were discharging to the point of being totally drained, so I shut the system down :fb . This morning I soldered that connector and re-taped it and added more strain relief connectors to keep everything in place. Since the batteries were completely drained I recharged them on my trusty ole’ Schumacher 10/30/50 amp battery charger. My onboard 12 volt 1.25 Battery Tender won't charge if the batteries are below 3 amps. After charging I found out I had fried :shocked: the Battery Tender and the warranty is voided since I cut the AC cord to shorten it. Today I ordered $> the waterproof 5 amp Battery Tender that I’ve wanted for sometime now since it will do a better job for 2 batteries . Live & learn the hard way sometimes :cry: $>. Whatever you do don’t cut the cord!! :no:
At our brand new Walmart they now stock insulated & uninsulated solderless terminal connectors in the same quantity and at the same price, I’ll be buying & using the insulated ones from now on for everything. :D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Hope I Learn

Postby Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:52 pm

Dear Danny,

I hope I learn from your mistakes. I almost both the uninsulated the other day but did not want to wait on a long line. So now I can go get some insulated ones. Thanks.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary K » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks for tip. :thumbsup: Sorry it cost you. :thumbdown:

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby PaulC » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:06 pm

All of my connections are soldered and then I shrink wrap insulate them. Might be a pain down the road if I have to replace them but, I feel, it's cheap insurance against this sort of problem.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:16 pm

Another thing that was against me from the beginning was they had supplied a 16 gauge wire with connector for that slim male blade on the 12 volt outlet. My wiring is 12 gauge and can't see adding a 16 gauge pigtail to it. I haven't seen any slim female connectors in my area so I used the regular sized ones. Doing that, it needs soldering even though it feels secure. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Micro469 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:18 pm

Thanks Danny..... Guess who's gonna haveta redo his electrics AGAIN????? 8)
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:48 pm

Micro469 wrote:Thanks Danny..... Guess who's gonna haveta redo his electrics AGAIN????? 8)

This is the purpose of this post. I could have stayed silent but why should someone else have similar problems. :) Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Dale M. » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:52 pm

As a solution to connector problems go to real supplier (trailer - truck commercial -indiutrial ) and get proper connectors first.... Relying on Wally World or Auto Zone is a real hit or miss situation....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:Another thing that was against me from the beginning was they had supplied a 16 gauge wire with connector for that slim male blade on the 12 volt outlet. My wiring is 12 gauge and can't see adding a 16 gauge pigtail to it. I haven't seen any slim female connectors in my area so I used the regular sized ones. Doing that, it needs soldering even though it feels secure. :D Danny

Obviously inferior connector.... THE ones I use have 12 gauge pigtail with insulated female slipon connectors on pig tails....

I usually try to buy through these places instead Wal-Mart

https://www.delcity.net/
http://www.waytekwire.com/

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:40 pm

Dale M. wrote:
halfdome, Danny wrote:Another thing that was against me from the beginning was they had supplied a 16 gauge wire with connector for that slim male blade on the 12 volt outlet. My wiring is 12 gauge and can't see adding a 16 gauge pigtail to it. I haven't seen any slim female connectors in my area so I used the regular sized ones. Doing that, it needs soldering even though it feels secure. :D Danny

Obviously inferior connector.... THE ones I use have 12 gauge pigtail with insulated female slipon connectors on pig tails....

Dale

I purchased the 12 volt outlets from Boaters World and the connectors from Home Depot. Can't see why I should order online when readily available locally. Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby dhazard » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:42 pm

One other thing to think about is using a good crimpier tool. The best connector is no good if it isn’t crimped correctly.
ImageImageImage
Many miles and many tears. Times were hard but now they're changing.
You should know that I'm not afraid.
dhazard
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:35 am

Dale M. wrote:Obviously inferior connector.... THE ones I use have 12 gauge pigtail with insulated female slipon connectors on pig tails....

Dale

Well, I buy my terminals at Wal-Mart. If I need it now then I don't care where it comes from as long as it works out. They do have some decent 3M terminals but of course they cost a little more. I bought some butt connectors with the integrated heat shrink insulation from Wally-World when I shortened my tongue.

The thing to stay away from are those variety packs that come with a crimper. That crimper will do more harm than good. If you don't squeeze hard enough, the terminal won't hold. If you squeeze too hard, it will deform female spade connectors. A high quality crimper is well worth the expense. I've used a ratcheting crimper for years, I keep track of it because I don't want to go back.

What I don't understand is, how did the batteries discharge? did the terminal ground out on something? If it did, why didn't it blow a fuse?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 am

asianflava wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Obviously inferior connector.... THE ones I use have 12 gauge pigtail with insulated female slipon connectors on pig tails....

Dale

What I don't understand is, how did the batteries discharge? did the terminal ground out on something? If it did, why didn't it blow a fuse?

It appears it grounded out on the other terminal of the outlet at some point in time and I discovered it blew a 20 amp fuse. The thing that baffles me is the 7.5 amp fuse on the Battery Tender is still OK but it won't work, or at least the lights don't come on after several attempts. :? Danny
ImageImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Phil & Ningning » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:30 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:
asianflava wrote:

Dale

It appears it grounded out on the other terminal of the outlet at some point in time and I discovered it blew a 20 amp fuse. The thing that baffles me is the 7.5 amp fuse on the Battery Tender is still OK but it won't work, or at least the lights don't come on after several attempts. :? Danny

If the battery tender was in use with the electric blanket, and your batteries were drained to the point that they would not supply enough current for the load, then current draw from the tender would rise far beyond it's capabilities. You said it was rated at 1.25a, so a 7.5a fuse will not protect it. you must use a fuse on your tender that is rated no higher than the current rating of the tender.

Phil
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets