Troy-bilt generator problem help needed

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Sierrajack » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:09 pm

Yep, I'm with Jim on this one. Think it's the low oil level switch! Had the same problem on my generator, checked oil, added in about 2 tablespoons and it ran like a generator should.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby diverguy » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Ok after about a 75% teardown cleaned the carb, new plug cleaned the gas tank new gas. still same problem. thanks jim, dhazzard, and jack. added about a 1/4 cup oil and ran like a champ. LOW OIL SENSOR. can i cuss now. tomrrow i am going to change the oil but for now i am glad to have found a cure. thanks again for all of our suggestions and help. :applause: :applause: :worship: :worship: :thumbsup:
diverguy
The 300 Club

Postby Sierrajack » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Diver,
Sometimes it the small things that get you. Glad you got it solved.
Sierrajack
The 300 Club

Postby critter » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Hey Guys,
Before I had my first stroke I was a toyota master tech for 20 years and I remeber a tech that thought he new every thing and wouldnt listen to us old foggies that keep telling him to ck the all basics but he worked on a car for 3 days that wouldnt start.He disasembeled,adjusted,caculated,tested,cleaned,and got volt/ohm reading on every computer terminal in the car but it Seems that they dont run without gas!Over the years i probbaly saw 2 dozen cars towed in cause they were out of gas and the owners would swear it wasent.I guess they didnt want to be embarassed.Thats Kinda like the test that the first line says read entire test before answering any ? and the last like says if you read this far you dont have to answer any ?
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby diverguy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:53 pm

its all good. really probably needed everything done to it i did. got a lot of stuff out of the carb. nothing fatal but still probably needed cleaned anyway. it is all taken care of for its 50,000 mile tune up. plug, needed changed, oil really needed changed. its all good.
diverguy
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:24 pm

critter wrote:Before I had my first stroke I was a toyota master tech for 20 years and I remeber a tech that thought he new every thing and wouldnt listen to us old foggies that keep telling him to ck the all basics but he worked on a car for 3 days that wouldnt start.

That drives me nuts, we have this new guy who will jump in with both feet. We keep telling him, do the least invasive thing first (the basics) then go on from there. If you start changing things and adjusting stuff, you may make it worse. Some of the equipment we work on applys coatings measured in angstroms. Any little thing can affect what you are doing.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Generator

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:33 pm

Kind of off topic but don't bypass the low oil pressure switch. My brother was having the same problem on his generator and bypassed the switch, ran it oul of oil, locked it up. The people in the pits around him said that the sparks and noise was the most entertainment that night.
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets