Electrical - Help

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electrical - Help

Postby Classic Finn » Thu May 03, 2007 1:16 pm

Ok here in the Land of Reindeer.. I came upon a snag...

In order for us to have shore power or land power (which is 220 - 230 v) we have to have a licensed electrician to do the work.. And with the high cost of workmanship it is a fact that at this time we cannot afford a licensed electrician to come and do the shore power..
:cry: :cry:

So will the 12 volt be plenty for this season? And what is the inverter size we need to convert from 12V to 230V so we dont go with a Blackout in the midst of camping? To be safe

We have a TV, Coffee Maker,`

Our lighting (exterior) is all 12 volt Led as well as our cooler also on 12v/230v .. Our interior (2) are Led. and the Fan Tastic Fan is 12v..

As well as our Stereo System...and Computer..

Hope thats it..

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Tue May 08, 2007 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby rasp » Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm

could you do the install yourself and pay a licensed electrician to inspect it?
kind of like an apprentice who does work though not licensed and the guy with the license sits round drinks coffee then checks out the work.
Last edited by rasp on Thu May 03, 2007 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thinking is more interesting than knowing, but less interesting than looking
rasp
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Here in Hoosierville ( Indiana) we can completely wire our homes but have to have a licensed electrician make the final hookup. He is responsible for looking over the system the homeowner has installed.
We avoid the cost of 90% of the work and he makes sure we are safe.
I would think if you left your work open for inspection and take the tear to their location someone would be kind hearted enough to sign off on your work for a real reasonable fee. This is if you feel confident in your abilities.
Here we have 120 volt systems and they will bite but I couldn't imagine 230V going wild in a rain soaked campground. Probably would sound like a giant bug zapper ! :fb
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby apratt » Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 pm

You mean that you actually have trailer cop going around campgrounds and checking to see if your trailer was wired by electriction!!!!!!!! :lol: :shock:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 03, 2007 1:55 pm

Heikki
How much does a really large inverter cost. More than an electrician I bet.

going 230(240) from a battery is going to be really hard on batteries. Can you make your needs all 12 vdc and take a battery charger with a power cord? That would be easier.

You should also be able to use portable power stations like Mike S did. They have breakers and GFCI's built in.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Thu May 03, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Classic Finn » Thu May 03, 2007 1:57 pm

apratt wrote:You mean that you actually have trailer cop going around campgrounds and checking to see if your trailer was wired by electriction!!!!!!!! :lol: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: No not at all.. Not yet anyway.. But for the Safety Inspection I have to have the ticket or Licensed Electricians Company Inspection Certificate..

I dont have the know how at all to even play with it admittingly..I know nothing about electrical in the 1st place . :oops: :oops:

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Heikki

going 230(240) from a battery is going to be really hard on batteries. Can you make your needs all 12 vdc and take a battery charger with a power cord? That would be easier.

You should also be able to use portable power stations like Mike S did. They have breakers and GFCI's built in.

Good evening Miriam

Here is an example of what I can get...

Inventteri tuoteperheen 500W versio 600W max. Muuttaa vaivattomasti autosähkön 12vdc - 230vac. Sopii mainiosti autossa esim. tietokoneelle ja näytölle. 3 x europistoke Kullatut liitännät. Mitat: 200x75x40 mm.

ImageHinta: €150.00

500w version to 600W max.. 12vdc to 230vac good for auto and..etc.
computer and screen. 3 x Euro Socket Gold plated connectors measurements 200 x 75 x 40mm

Price 150 Euro

The price vary from 150 to 350 Euro .. I can get a 1700w one for 350 euro.

Classic Finn
Last edited by Classic Finn on Thu May 03, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby apratt » Thu May 03, 2007 2:09 pm

How about just go with 12 volts and for the electrical items just use an extension cord. Would that work?

Oh do you have to have the Electriction inspect the extension cord?? :lol: :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Classic Finn » Thu May 03, 2007 2:18 pm

apratt wrote:How about just go with 12 volts and for the electrical items just use an extension cord. Would that work?

Oh do you have to have the Electriction inspect the extension cord?? :lol: :lol:

:rofl2: My stomach hurts from laughing at your comments.. :lol: :lol: :lol: I think I may just go with the 12 volt and go with a inverter with an extension cord otherwise I,ll be going on our Maiden Voyage next year... :D :D

Ya never know these bas....nerds :lol: :lol: what they come up with.. ;) EU electrical cords... :? :?

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Thu May 03, 2007 2:20 pm

rasp wrote:could you do the install yourself and pay a licensed electrician to inspect it?
kind of like an apprentice who does work though not licensed and the guy with the license sits round dirnks coffee then checks out the work.

I,ll have to check our neighbors to see if he,d do it for us.. I dont know much about this subject to even attempt it myself..

I do know what you mean though..

Classic Finn

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 03, 2007 2:49 pm

:o K---I need a nap. Are you wanting to run 230 vac or 12vdc. First thing you need to know is the amounts of watts needed to use your appliances. Next you need the battery power to do it with.

Converter goes 230vac to 12vdc.

Inverter goes 12vdc to 230vac.

If you want a battery to run your TV it won't last long. If you want your battery to run your coffee pot or hair dryer you need to get the 1700 and lots of batteries or a charger. You need to hook your batteries in parallel.

Get a battery charger and an good outdoor power cord.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby ARKPAT » Fri May 04, 2007 2:31 am

Classic Finn Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miriam C. wrote:
Heikki

Good evening Miriam

Inventteri tuoteperheen 500W versio 600W max. Muuttaa vaivattomasti autosähkön 12vdc - 230vac. Sopii mainiosti autossa esim. tietokoneelle ja näytölle. 3 x europistoke Kullatut liitännät. Mitat: 200x75x40 mm.

Hinta: €150.00

computer and screen. 3 x Euro Socket Gold plated connectors measurements 200 x 75 x 40mm

Price 150 Euro

Classic Finn

Heikki;
A hair dryer on an inverter will suck the life out of the battery in short order. :cry:
If you need to run large wattage appliances on and inverter keep them small wattage. Even at EU 240 50hz with a hair dryer ( 1400 plus watts) will be almost 7 amps at 240 Volt AC, that would relate to 117 amps at 12 volts DC ( assuming 100% efficency inverter and wiring ). That was what ;) ( watts :R ) Miriam was talking about earlier in the post. :thumbsup:
Any large wattage appliances you use will. :thinking:

You might save the dryer and use more towels :lol: .

Yor doing a great job on your Tear Heikki!
:thumbsup:

Pat
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PaulC » Fri May 04, 2007 2:46 am

I've used the kiss principle with both builds. 12volt only and if I need mains I have a 1000w inverter or my 600w generator.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Classic Finn » Fri May 04, 2007 3:32 am

PaulC wrote:I've used the kiss principle with both builds. 12volt only and if I need mains I have a 1000w inverter or my 600w generator.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Dear Paul

I reckon I am so electronically illiterate I will go with 12 volt and a 1000 w inverter and call it a season.. summer will be here and gone before we realize so I,ll call it a coming winter project... :lol: :lol:

Thats what I,ll do.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)

Classic Finn ;)

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 am

Pat Hopkins wrote:
Classic Finn Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:06 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miriam C. wrote:
Heikki

Good evening Miriam

Hinta: €150.00

Price 150 Euro

Classic Finn

Heikki;
A hair dryer on an inverter will suck the life out of the battery in short order. :cry:
If you need to run large wattage appliances on and inverter keep them small wattage. Even at EU 240 50hz with a hair dryer ( 1400 plus watts) will be almost 7 amps at 240 Volt AC, that would relate to 117 amps at 12 volts DC ( assuming 100% efficency inverter and wiring ). That was what ;) ( watts :R ) Miriam was talking about earlier in the post. :thumbsup:
Any large wattage appliances you use will. :thinking:

You might save the dryer and use more towels :lol: .

Yor doing a great job on your Tear Heikki!
:thumbsup:

Pat

Hi Pat

I wont be using a hair dryer and I dont think my wife will either, I dont have that much hair on my Arctic Head to speak of anymore so Im safe.. :lol: :lol:

Pat thank you for the good advice also .. and kind words..Im doing my best... :) :)

Best regards from our family

Heikki

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets