140 Amp battery

Anything electric, AC or DC

140 Amp battery

Postby Airspeed » Thu May 10, 2007 2:03 pm

I bought a 140ah deep cycle battery,did I go overboard? I was going to go with the Optima but it was way to much$ I bought a reg deep cycle instead, I guess you can never have too much juice? or can you?
Thanks, Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby Mary K » Thu May 10, 2007 2:12 pm

I wouldn't think so. Where did ya get it and how much? (If ya don't mind me asking) :thinking:

Mk :thumbsup:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Airspeed » Thu May 10, 2007 2:21 pm

I bought it at Les Schwab, ( mainly because I have an account there )
I paid $99 out the door,I'm not sure who the manufacturer is yet as my son in law is picking it up for me as we type, It should arrive in about an hour or so! I finally get to see if my lights,pump,fan, WIRING, etc works or not, I was brave (or stupid ) and didnt test ant of my circuits before I covered them all up with plywood, I did solder all the joints though,so I wont have to worry about the wires coming apart.
Aaron
Airspeed
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu May 10, 2007 11:06 pm

Seeing the rest of your work I don't doubt you should be fine.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sun May 13, 2007 7:39 pm

I don't think it's possible to have a battery with too much capacity, because lead-acid batteries are more reliable if they are not discharged to too low a fraction of their capacity, and they are more efficient if the current drawn out (in use) or pushed in (while charging) is low compared to their capacity. If two identically designed batteries are used the same way, the bigger one will be more efficient and last longer, plus it provides the option of using more power when you want to.

You can have a battery which is heavier than it is worth. At 140 amp-hours, if there is any significant electrical load and the trailer is not intended to be featherweight, it's probably not unreasonable. This really is an individual decision, balancing weight against benefit.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Keith B » Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm

That's probablly a nice choice.. I'm going to go with two 6vt batteries in series, which will give me 250ah. Basically the same system as most golf carts. The batteries are 10x8x6high and only weigh 5 more pounds combined than one 12 vt. battery. I'm even wondering if that will be enough for 4 nights without a "charge" running my fan on low during sleeping hours. I'm also entertaining a solar charger if I can find a big enough one for around $100 to help "maintain" during camp outings. Most places I go don't have the luxury of 110vt.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets