Hot Lead from battery to Fusebox

Anything electric, AC or DC

Hot Lead from battery to Fusebox

Postby Mike Angeles » Mon May 14, 2007 6:42 am

Ewww.
This is just going to look Ugly, Anyone have any thoughts on connecting hot lead to fuse box?? or let the solder fly? 8 ga wire. Looked for comparable pictures, no luck.

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 am

Morning Mike

You don't want a striped wire going across like that for sure. Here is a link with lots of good pictures in it.

http://www.brokenoffcarantenna.com/tear ... P_3058.htm

enjoy

Adding these

Mike S set up

from here
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... lock#11309
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mike Angeles » Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 am

My Thinking was that since it will be enclosed in a box.,..........More or less the same thing? Bus Bar kind thingy. using the 8 ga. wire to all my Fuses enables me to take advantage of Higher gauge. wires to other circuits as needed. In the Photo you show your limited to what the wire that feeds the previous circuit, Only as strong as the weakest link?

Just a thought,

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby SkipperSue » Mon May 14, 2007 10:44 am

Mike,
I don't see anything wrong with your idea.
Only thing is you would have to watch the heat while soldering
or you might melt something, and it's gonna take some heat
to solder that 8 gage wire.
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby IndyCubby » Mon May 14, 2007 11:11 am

Here is how I did mine...

I prefer the automotive plug style fuses rather than the old glass kind because they look a bit cleaner and there are fewer conductive parts exposed.

To make things a bit easier to wire, you might find another type of fuse block where all of the circuits get power from a common bus (like the one in my picture). What you are trying to do would work o.k., I would just be concerned that your main wire may come unsoldered or something.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Mon May 14, 2007 11:52 am

IF fuse assembly is in enclosure, I see no reason to not solder it. An exposed buss bar inside a enclosure is not a problem...

Using multiple loops from connector to connector just makes for more places for mechanical connectors (push on) to fail .... But there are also times when it is only solution.

I'll go along with IndyCubby on the ATO/ATC fuse panel style. The built in buss bar is a plus and the blade type fuses (ATO/ATC) are a lot easier to work with. Some of the blade type fuse blocks also have additional GROUND buss bar included. There is also a type of blade fuse available that has a LED included in its construction and it lights up (indicates) when fuse blows...

http://www.waytekwire.com

Part numbers #46280 (3 Amp) through #46289 (40 Amp)..

Also order paper catalogue while at their site.. Below is another site to order catalog from....

https://www.delcity.net/

Some of these sites have minimum Internet order of $25 but if you plan on getting fuse blocks and spare fuses and wire and grommets and what-nots the minimum should not be a problem...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Mon May 14, 2007 12:58 pm

Excellent, Unfortuneatly , Im already committed to the one I have ($). So ill give it a shot, very clean install you have there, Impressive.

Thanks,
Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Power Suppy

Postby Maniac H3 » Mon May 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Indy

Is that a 12 volt power supply????

The black box plugged in the the 110 out let.

Is that why you have the 3-way switch On batt---Off---On 12volt from 110 source.....???????

Maniac :thinking:
Maniac H3
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Mon May 14, 2007 3:06 pm

Might be easier to use a piece of solid 10 or 12ga soldered across the terminals then attach the wire to it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Mon May 14, 2007 3:15 pm

Im thinkning you might be right, thats one Large piece O' wire

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike Angeles » Mon May 14, 2007 5:24 pm

And heres the result, Solder joints all look ok, I used a cheapo pen torch. didnt do too much damage. If this fails ill invest in something a bit more modern. As in most things in life, it looks alot better at 3' then it does at 1' 8 ga. was a bit much in hindsight.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Angeles on Tue May 15, 2007 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon May 14, 2007 10:36 pm

Sorry Mike, But what you have is a firetrap! :thumbdown: You would be better to use a terminal strip like the black wire is wired. Then run #10 gage wire from the terminal strip to the fuse blocks with a push-on connector. Solder is not an electrical connection device, it’s a mechanical method to hold wires. Yes it is used in the electronic industry but after the fused supply, not before it. Solder melts at 550 dig.F Plastic box starts on fire at 300 dig.F. I would suggest you redo the supply wiring. Use solder wick to get off as much of the solder as possible and rewire with push-on connectors.
Take a look at my album there is a picture of my fuse panel.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Tue May 15, 2007 6:08 am

Chuck thanks for your concerns, I feel confident in the connections made so far.

Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets