Chasis Ground for TearDrop

Anything electric, AC or DC

Chasis Ground for TearDrop

Postby Keith B » Mon May 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Well, I'm pretty lucky that I don't have to have a big fuse block for the positive wires, since my Best Converter/Charger has fuses in it for up to 4 circuits....However, there is a reference to running a ground wire from the converter to the chasis (on the 110vt side). Since the TD is 100% wood is this necessary?
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 14, 2007 10:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :yes: :no: :yes: :no: :yes: :rofl: :baby:
Are you sure you want to know. The official answer is: Depends on who you ask. I didn't. I am waiting for someone to give me a good reason to do it. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Keith B » Mon May 14, 2007 10:22 pm

:lol: well, when/if you get an answer, keep me posted.
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby wa_flyfisher » Tue May 15, 2007 10:38 am

It doesn't hurt to do it, I would actually run two grounds to the frame as a backup. If you used the HF or similar trailer, you can attach to the bolts.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 15, 2007 12:13 pm

The unit may have a ground fault or overload circuit that need a ground to work properly. What it really wants is the land line 110 volt earth ground.
Not all campgrounds are grounded properly. Your TD is setting on rubber hooked to a car on rubber not much chance for an earth ground unless
your 110 land line is grounded properly. If you are wired for GFI and the test button does not trip your GFI It's a good guess you do not have a proper ground . However , you can fool it with a ground wire from the frame and a big alligator clip to that galvanized water pipe sticking up out of the ground The GFI should now trip indicating a earth ground providing you 110 ground wire is grounded to the frame. If your frame is not ground directly to the 110 ground wiring in the TD ground your temporary wire direct to the ground circuit. (Mine will not ground to the frame guess I'll leave a ground lug somewhere convenient just in case. One more detail for me to remember.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Keith B » Tue May 15, 2007 2:10 pm

That's exactly what I thought...which means you need to run an "alligator" clip from the chasis to "something" a/k/a a rod in the ground, etc to work properly at either camp or home when "pluged in"... or, I was thinking, leaving the safety chains dangle to touch the ground, in addition to the "leveling jacks" being down....no, not a very good ground I know, but better than nothing and "not" forgetting.
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue May 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Where's George when we need him? :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue May 15, 2007 5:04 pm

bledsoe3 wrote:Where's George when we need him? :lol:

His stuff is still here. Just do a search for grounding and you will find more information than you could ever want on the subject. Then decide what you trust and do it.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Chasis Ground for TearDrop

Postby Chuck Craven » Tue May 15, 2007 9:08 pm

Keith B wrote:Well, I'm pretty lucky that I don't have to have a big fuse block for the positive wires, since my Best Converter/Charger has fuses in it for up to 4 circuits....However, there is a reference to running a ground wire from the converter to the chasis (on the 110vt side). Since the TD is 100% wood is this necessary?

No I would not run the green ground wire to the chassis on the 110 AC side.
But they may be talking about the DC side going to the frame. As long as your wiring is not connected to the frame it isn’t really needed. The only thing that may need a frame ground is the TV or radio for the antenna. If you’re TV has a coax connector or terminal strip, for the antenna, that probably will not need a frame ground eater. Most car type radios need the frame ground to act as the other half of the antenna. Don’t put in a ground rod as the campgrounds may have problems when you hook up to there power pole. It may cause ground faults at there breakers. It all depends on how the campground has its system setup. :thinking:

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby swizz » Mon May 21, 2007 7:25 pm

Earth bond your chassis to your mains unit in the trailer - its the unknown you are catering for, all for the sakes of running a short wire!

The best advice also on this thread is to check your earth whenever you hook up to a campgrounds mains - if it fails on site, double check it then report the problem to the wardens and get them to sort you a solution (you pay for your hook up don't forget, what they are providing should be expected to be safe!)
swizz
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets