6 volt car, 12 volt trailer????????

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Phil & Ningning » Thu May 24, 2007 11:20 pm

It is relatively easy to convert older six volt vehicles to twelve volts, You change the bulbs, battery, generator, voltage regulator, etc. and that's it. Going the other way (not that you would want to) requires completely rewiring the car. The reason for this is because for an equal wattage load, the current draw (amps) doubles when the voltage is cut in half. Thus, wiring that is engineered for a twelve volt system will be insufficient at six volts and will quickly overheat. For this reason, simply installing six volt lamps should not be tried with the (mediocre at best) wiring supplied with most trailer lighting kits.
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

Postby Model_A Bill » Fri May 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Whew!!!! What to do, what to do???? :roll: :( :o

I really don't want to convert the model A to 12 volt. I do plan on putting in a 6 volt alternator.

It sure would make things easier if there was such a thing as a converter that would convert the 6 volts From the Model A to 12 volts on the trailer. That way, I could use one plug for both cars and put the converter on the trailer thus running everything via 12 volts.

I really like the idea of all LED lights on the trailer. I've been researching them and find there are all kinds of options. Trailer lights, interior lights, night lights, spot lights.........everthing a TD needs!!!

Now, how to solve my 6 volt challenge. I'm sure somebody somewhere has done this before.
Bill

No matter where you go....there you are!
Model_A Bill
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 25, 2007 2:32 pm

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dale M. » Fri May 25, 2007 3:00 pm

Ok.... Leave 6 volt bulbs in TD....

On 12 volt tow vehicle get a 7 pin socket put on it and have it wired by the accepted industry standard wiring including the 12 volt supply from tow vehicle battery. .... Take a circuit box and mount a female six pin female connector into box (output for the box to trailer). Bring a tail from 7 pin tow vehicle connector into box....

Get a 12 volt relay for each light function ( tail- stop- turn -???)... wire each relay (relay coil - "operate path") from 7 pin plug. The 12 volt from lamp circuit (tow vehicle) will operate relay when lamp is functioning, Connect other side or relay coil to ground... On normally open contacts of relay wire the output ( 6 volts) of solid-state 12 volt to 6 volt voltage drop circuit (12 volt supply from tow vehicle). Wire other relay contact to appropriate lamp on trailer... All circuits tow vechicle/trailer use common ground.

I state using 7 pin plug so it can move from 12 volt vehicle to 12 volt vehicle, and 6 pin plug on trailer will only plug into "Box" to serve 6 volt lamps on trailer or from corresponding six pin plug on Model "A"...

I state use 6 pin plug on trailer as a reminder that trailer and Model "A" are wired for 6 volt operation.

You can also carry 12 volt through box so if trailer has 12 volt internal lighting you can charge the 12 volt battery while towing with 12 volt tow vehicle... If you are towing with Model "A" you will have to charge 12 volt trailer internal system with shore power.

Concept is really simple, only real technology is 12 volt to 6 volt
solid-state voltage drop circuitry.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc-1206-11.htm

Simple explanation is 12 volt vehicle "lamp function" also operates relay. When relay operates it completes circuit for 6 volt lamp function on trailer...

Dale
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat May 26, 2007 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Fri May 25, 2007 10:03 pm

Think I got it all together in a graphic.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Phil & Ningning » Fri May 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Bill, I was not suggesting that you convert your model A. I would never say that unless it was already a substantially modified car. If it is even close to stock, forget it. I made my last post just for general information. I did send you a pm outlining the converter idea in more detail. I think it is the simplest way to go.
Good Luck,
Phil
Phil & Ningning
Teardrop Master

bulbs

Postby diamond dave » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:31 pm

I've had 6 volt vehicles and used 12 volt lights in them in emergency situations. they work well that way and you don't have to worry about blowing them out. I'm not sure as to the long term stability of them.But then again, they may blow out prematurely due to underpowering.
I'd try that first. It worked for me and bulbs gotta be cheaper than any converter or voltage drops out there.
good luck . d.d.t.
diamond dave
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:03 pm

Micro469 wrote:But I found that a six volt bulb has the pins level with each other and 12 volt bulbs are offset. In my experience anyway.....

In normal 12V automotive bulbs, the ones with two filaments (a dimmer one for tail light, and a brighter one for brake/turn) have two contacts on the end, and offset pins on the side to ensure that they can only be inserted the right way around. Bulbs with one filament (for a single function) have just the one contact on the end, and pins on the side at the same height (they can be inserted either way around).

Are these the two styles you're thinking of?
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets