Optima Yellow top battery.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Optima Yellow top battery.

Postby elmo » Tue May 22, 2007 9:03 am

I am really tired and the kids didn't let me sleep in....I will post a picture of why I am tired in another thread, but anyway I was going to put my battery in today and vent it and all that good stuff, but like I said I am tired and if I go to Sears...Sam's...etc and buy the Optima Yellow top I don't need to vent do I? Just hook up and done? It will be mounted in the galley. After going back and reading past threads this is what I came up with, so I am 99.9% sure, but something like this I need 100%, especially when the kiddies are involved.

Also does anyone have a size preference?

Thanks in advance! I am going to put my head down on the keyboard and wait for your answers. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Tear Les » Tue May 22, 2007 9:08 am

Hi Elmo,

I'm still a noob when it comes to teardrops but I use a lot of AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries in the boats I custom rig (for a living); the Optima is just one kind of AGM by the way.

You are correct; they're rated for occupied spaces in boats without venting. However...you still need to protect the terminals; the battery is still a source of ignition if you have other volatile vapors in the area and you produce a spark.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Tue May 22, 2007 9:10 am

Elmo, keep in mind that those batteries can outgas...BUT, only during a hi-amp, long charge onna nearly drained battery...if your charger is designed for gel-cell batts, this should never be a problem...size...well, get the biggest one you can afford...both monetarily and physically....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tear Les » Tue May 22, 2007 9:28 am

Gel cell batteries and AGM batteries (which include the Optima) are not one in the same. The charging profiles for each battery (that is, specific voltages and for how long) are quite different for gel cells and AGMs and each should have a charger with a setting specifically designed for the battery technology. The Optima is very, very close to a wet cell lead-acid battery charging profile and that will work (it's why they work in automobiles so well) but they can take a lot more charge (much faster) than a wet cell so a charger than can do that is nice so they'll recharge sooner.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Keith B » Tue May 22, 2007 9:58 am

Yellow Top, AGM, Optima, etc. are good batteries, but nothing will outlast a lead/acid battery, (years of service and cycles of charge/discharge) and in lead acid, nothing will outlast a Trojan..but they are EXPENSIVE. If you're going to vent anyway, I would still recommend the lead/acid. I installed two 6 vt golf cart batteries from Sams ($120) which gives me 225ah of power... or 70+ hours of Fantastic Fan use on low speed. Two 6vt batteries are only 1-2" bigger than a group 24, single 12vt and will give 2x the amount of ah. Check my post "Simple wire job w/ Converter" to see pics and specs.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby elmo » Tue May 22, 2007 10:05 am

Keith B wrote:Yellow top, AGM, Optima, etc. are good batteries, but nothing will outlast a lead/acid battery, and in lead acid, nothing will outlast a Trojan..but the are EXPENSIVE (years of service and cycles of charge/discharge). If you're going to vent anyway, I would still recommend the lead/acid. I installed two 6 vt golf cart batteries from Sams ($120) which gives me 225ah of power... or 70+ hours of Fantastic Fan use on low speed. Two 6vt batteries are only 1-2" bigger than a group 24, single 12vt and will give 2x the amount of ah. Check my post "Simple wire job w/ Converter" to see pics and specs.

Keith I have a RV battery here...I am just to tired to drill holes and think...just want to go buy one and drop it in and take a nap with the kids.....come on nap time. :worship:

By the way I broke a Trojan once and I thought it was going to be expensive, but I lucked out. :)
It's scary when you start making the same noises as your coffee maker.
elmo
Donating Member

Postby Keith B » Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am

REST before work... last thing you wanna do is work while you're tired and make a mistake because you weren't thinking straight.
Here are the "vents" similar to what I'm going to install; And I will contact cement some "screen" on the inside to keep mini-critters out...just takes a 2.5" hole saw.
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:40 am

elmo wrote:By the way I broke a Trojan once and I thought it was going to be expensive, but I lucked out. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets