share your pictures of your Electrical placements

Anything electric, AC or DC

share your pictures of your Electrical placements

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:51 am

I notice that some of you show pictures of your trailers and where the fuse box is and other wire placements.

can you submit your site or the pictures in those sites that show them so we have a reality check as to what you have done and about what it should look like.

Dang this is my 200th entry time to get to work on my own trailer.

:twisted: I am a little scared :cry: and embarrased I have little to show for all that I have said :oops: I do not want to let you folks down :thumbdown: so I will try real hard :thumbsup: and start taking pictures for you to correct :pictures: and even if I am not done I will bring what I have to a get to gether like Lake Piru :beer: and hope I did it right ... and I will listen to what you have to tell me as I have said before I love to learn. :thinking:

Ron D
Los Osos, CA
Teardrop master soon to be.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby David Grason » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:52 am

Well, I'm not to the wiring point on my project yet, but I'd sure like to know how to post pictures. Since you're asking folks to post pics, maybe this would be a good thread to do that in.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:40 am

I too am just getting to that point. I will probably use the wiring diagram posted by bdosborn. It has pretty much the same circuits that I want. I'll probably add and delete things to suit my tear but it makes for a good guide.

http://home.comcast.net/~bdosborn/tear/Teardrop_Wiring_Diagram.pdf

Gotta buy wire tomorrow.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby George T. » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:57 am

Greetings from Colorado!

Not a closeup of the fuse box/wiring per se, but an overall view of how I handled my utilities. I grouped evrything at the foot of the bed wirh access via a hinged panel. I don't have to access this area very often, so felt that this was a good option.

This area is set just behind the axle and as low as I could get it without dropping below the level of the floor. Keeping the center of gravity low and close to the axle helped the balance and handling.

I brought the 110v into the trailer and directly into a GFI outlet. From there, the wiring goes to 3 other outlets. One in the cabinet over the bed. One in the nose of the trailer and one in the galley area. I very seldom use the 110V but wanted it available. I do have a 12V float charger plugged into the outlet in the utility area outlet all of the time. This way, I can simply hook power to the trailer while it is in storage and the batteries are maintained.

The charge lead for the batteries comes through the wiring harness form the tow vehicle. It is a 10 gauge wire with a 30 self resetting circuit breaker on the tow vehicle end. The power is automatically connected/disconnected when the key is turned on/off. This way, I keep my tow vehicle/trailer batteries isolated [seperated] from each other just in case there is a drain on either one.

The 12v comes into a fuse block and from there it is distributed to the various circuits through appropriate sized fuses. Without looking, I beleive that there are 6 circuits. Lights/front 12v outlet & stereo/water pump/ceramic heater/galley 12v outlet/12v outlet above the bed/and ?. The ground is attached to a bus bar [plastic strip with multiple screw contacts] and each circuit has it's own ground connection from here.

There are 3 lights in the cabin. Two run off of one switch and the third off of a another switch. The two lights in the rear of the cabin are positioned over two drawers so the contents can be seen. There is a single light above the head of the bed for general illumination. Between the head of the mattress and the front cabinet wall are two gooseneck reading lamps that can be pulled up independant of each other. They are out of the way when not needed but provide selective lighting when one persom wishes to read and the other wants to sleep.

There are four lights on the galley hatch. They are wired in pairs and can be used with two or four lights, depending on how much light is requried. I mounted the lights overhead on the inside of the hatch so that the lights were not in your face/eyes when they were on. The lights are operated by a VW headlight switch mounted in the galley bulkhead.

The stereo is positioned above the bookcase at the head of the bed for easy access. There are four speakers. Two under the cabinet above the foot of the bed and two under the window above the closet at the front of the trailer. There are also speaker jacks in the galley area. When speakers are plugged into these jacks, they disconnect the speakers above the foot of the bed. There is a 12V fan above the head of the bed to move air on those sultry nights.

For exterior lighting, there are four clearance lights, 2 amber on the front and two red on the rear. I can see thease when backing up and it sure helps at night! Two taillights mounted on homemade conduit stalks and a third brakelight mounted above the license plate light.

To provide a good, solid ground, a separate ground wire comes from the tow vehicle and is attached directly to the frame and to the buss bar located below the fuse panel. All circuits have a dedicated ground wire and the taillights are grounded to the frame.

Way more information than I planned to post, but I hope that it gives all some food for thought....

George T.

George T.
Teardrop Master

my fues box

Postby James (tinbender) » Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:15 pm

her's how's i'm doing my fuse box
http://www.geocities.com/august95664/mycubby.html
James (tinbender)
Teardrop Builder

Postby Ranger Rod » Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:41 pm

That is a really nice looking installation George. :thumbsup: How much galley space do you figure you gave up? Is your TD a 10 footer? I was also wondering if you used the beaded birch panels on the headliner too. I've been thinking of using that also. If you used it for the headliner do the beads run paralell to the wall beads, or perpendicular? I can't tell from the pic. Also, is the black box your ceramic heater?
Thanks,
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby George T. » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:55 pm

Greetings from Colorado Rod!

I really didn't give up anything when I designed my trailer. I knew what I wanted and planned everything to fit. The "utility closet" is 12" front to back. The trailer body is 11' long. The side walls are tongue and groove pine wainscoting [sp?]. The ceiling is simply 1/8" tempered masonite painted Navajo white. I used a kitchen/bath semi-gloss for easy clean up. There are pine strips running sidewise across the ceiling about 2' apart. The black box is a 12volt ceramic heater. There is a themostat on the heater and a master shut off by the head of the bed.

Someday, I will shoot some photos of the interior of my teardrop. I finally purchased a wide angle for my digital but just haven't had the time to take the photos....

Give a read at http://pages.prodigy.net/rfs2growup/journey.htm to see how my teardrop came to be...

George T
George T.
Teardrop Master

Postby Ranger Rod » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:57 am

Thanks George, that's good info. I had visited your site before, but had not read your TD saga. I was surprised when I got to the part about LaClede's Landing. My last job before I retired was as Chief Ranger at the Arch, right next door to The Landing. We lived in St. Louis for almost six years. Small world!

Have a Happy and safe New Year.
Rod
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets