Thinking of doing graphic wiring diagrams...need input

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby asianflava » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:09 am

I'd put the master circuit breaker/fuse before the positive bus.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:36 am

asianflava wrote:I'd put the master circuit breaker/fuse before the positive bus.

Good point.

I have to agree with this!....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Dale M. wrote:...Also as for VOLTAGE drop.......Is anything we put in a tear that critical for voltage drop...

Generally not, but that drop is also energy wasted, and battery endurance is a factor for most people who are camping and using battery power. I would rather use a bit larger wire than carry a bigger battery or more expensive solar panel area. Everything is a compromise, of course, and bigger is not simply better, in wire size or anything else.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:34 pm

I think you could keep everything a lot simpler but just using #12 wire throughout. The voltage drop in a #12 wire at the lengths seen in a 10' tear is less than 5% at 20 amps. It seems a shame to make a simple visual diagram and then obscure it with voltage drop calculations. I would just pick the wire and fuse sizes and be done with it. Otherwise you'll be explaining how to size wire for load and voltage drop to people who just want a wiring diagram.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Kankujoe » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:45 pm

Les,

I think it is extremely helpful to me (others too) for you to continue with your graffic postings. Seeing the actual components will certainly be useful for me as I move into this phase of my trailer project.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Kankujoe » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 am

madjack wrote:Les...some advice...K.I.S.S.........give some links to the more technical/esoteric side of eletricity................. 8)

Les,

I'd keep in BOTH the simple & more detailed information in your postings. I would rather become familiar with this technical stuff in the context of MY specific application (TD/TTT elecrical systems). For me that is the K.I.S.S. approach. I tend to get sidetracked or lost in information (more technical websites or sources) and lose sight of what I'm trying to do in my own application.

Not to argue with MadJack... but IMO your approach is more simple to me than referring me to other sources where I must first wade through stuff I am not familiar with to find (if I can?) what info I actually need.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby Nitetimes » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:15 am

Here we go again! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Tallguy3578 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:41 am

Great idea! :thumbsup:
Looks good so far.

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.
Tallguy3578
Teardrop Master

A Image from RVsolarelectric

Postby Guy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Dear Les,

Here is an image from http://www.rvsolarelectric.com . I think the catastrope fuse is quite important.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets