My kingdom for the right 4-pin connector...

Anything electric, AC or DC

My kingdom for the right 4-pin connector...

Postby Gaelen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:30 pm

My soon-to-be tow vehicle is a 2001 Chevy S10 4 cylinder 4x2 pickup, manual transmission, and it came with wiring back to the driver's side back bumper that can handle a trailer. The end plug on the factory installed trailer wiring is a four pin flat connector. Steve, the guy I bought my little Sunspot from, didn't have a connector at his place so he told me to call NAPA and pick up a 4 prong T connector to plug in to the wiring on the truck to attach to the trailer when I pick it up this week.

Life's been a little crazy, so I printed out the part I thought I needed (came from Hoppy) and asked my brother to pick it up while he was running around. He picked it up Friday. Looked at it, and although it looks just like a T, it just didn't seem right -- it has two round connectors (part A) that form a T and the flat offshoot hooks into the flat part B 4 pin connector.

Called every NAPA in town that was still open yesterday, and a couple of Advanced Auto Parts, and am about to make a trip to Walmart. Nobody seems to have just the plain flat 4pin plug.

Is this something that I might be able to get directly from a Chevy dealer? Or am I just looking for the wrong thing, and the part 41135 Hoppy T-connector my brother picked up will work--I just maybe don't need part A?

:oops:

feeling a lot like an electrical idiot. :oops:
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:02 pm

If I read your question correctly, trailer has flat four connector, and your tow vehicle does not.... Ok on this?

Trailer Side Connector

Truck Side Connector

IF so, yes the Hoppy kit (41135 Hoppy T-Connector) or equivalant, is what you want for the truck.... One end plugs into existing truck wiring harness and other end provides "flat Four" for connection to trailer...

This may help you decide...

http://shop.easternmarine.com/downloadFiles/41135.pdf

IF you need just the "flat four" plug with short wire tails (truck side connector) to wire to, they are as common as ice cream cones. Any cheapo to most expensive auto parts in town should have at least 3 hanging on wall next to trailer hitches and accessories and wiring stuff....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:59 pm

Dale, the end of the wiring on my truck is a four flat male plug with a green cap covering the prongs--just like the one in your picture for the trailer side. I didn't take a look when Steve was telling me what to buy, but I'm assuming the trailer side connector is also male 4 flat plug. So it seems like I need a female four flat connector with the tails...and every place I've called seems to be fresh out.

My brother works for a machine shop, and he's going to try the shop's part supplier tomorrow. I'm going to call the Chevy dealer near work. It does seem like they should be nearly everywhere...but apparently not!

The connector my (other) brother picked up is the exact Hoppy connector you linked, the 41135--but my truck doesn't have the two piece split. It's already got the flat plug at the end, rather than the two round pieces hooked together which split apart so that you can insert a T that goes to the four flat connector.

If all else fails, I'll give Steve a call, let him know I'm having trouble getting the part, and ask him to check the NAPA near him.

At least I have the hitch ball installed, and tomorrow I get the trailer tag from DMV!
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:31 pm

That's weird... The flat four is the most common connector out there!.....

Al lot of times they come as male and female plug with about XX inches of wire between then and you just cut the "loop" and wire them in.......

Maybe this is what you want, and just use proper end.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-TEC~18044.htm

Other wise I'm really confused as to what you are describing as connector on truck....

Got a picture???

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:26 am

Gaelen wrote: the end of the wiring on my truck is a four flat male plug with a green cap covering the prongs--just like the one in your picture for the trailer side.

If I understand correctly you have a 4 way flat on the truck. It is just that some yoho put the trailer end on the truck. So you have truck and trailer with the 3 male ends .This means that if you little green storage cap falls off the 3 naked pins can ground to the car and blow all kind of fuses. CHANGE THAT END NOW ! If you want to do it the easy way just cut the wires and solder on the truck 4 way flat and seal with some shrink tubing ( Radio Shack ) to insulate.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:38 am

http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.aspx

see anybody you know.

Some of the small factory trailers use a brinkmann connector it looks a lot like the square connector at the bottom. You can get adapters for them thru the U Haul company stores. They may have to order them but it's almost always next day service. They have adapters from almost anything to anything in stock and factory wiring sets for all popular makes and models.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gaelen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:53 am

Bob, thanks for the link and the advice!

Dale, as requested, a picture. I forgot to put a screwdriver in my pocket and foolishly thought I could just pop the green cap off (no worries that will happen by accident--it's seriously ON there.) After work, I'll take a pair of channel locks to the plug and loosen it a bit. This plug was was factory OEM, btw.

Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby kiacker » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:11 am

Gaelen,

When I was having problems with my 89 Ford Ranger hookup, I discovered that some Rangers came with the towing wiring hookup already wired into the truck. It took a single hookup adapter rather than the Hoppy T connector that I used. Maybe that's the case with your S10. I found the specific connector online, but don't remember which website. Went to a Ford Ranger specific website & found it from there, so maybe there's a S10 specific website that can point you in the right direction. Just my 2 cents.
Lisa

My life's work is to be my dog's servant, pay his rent, drive him to the park, and keep his food bowl full!
kiacker
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:07 am

Gaelen wrote:Bob, thanks for the link and the advice!

Dale, as requested, a picture. I forgot to put a screwdriver in my pocket and foolishly thought I could just pop the green cap off (no worries that will happen by accident--it's seriously ON there.) After work, I'll take a pair of channel locks to the plug and loosen it a bit. This plug was was factory OEM, btw.

I'm not gonna say this for certain cause there is the slim possibility I'm wrong but... I don't think that is a trailer plug. That looks more like it may be the plug for a wiring adapter to hook your plug to. I have never seen that style of plug used for the 4 way flat. If you have a wire tester you might want to check and see if there are even lights on that circuit. Some vehicles have a plug hanging in the back of them that isn't used and is capped off like that. What they are for I'm not sure anybody really knows.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:15 am

...looks to me like it could be a factory wiring set up for an adapter to a 4 pin...I have seen several vehicles (a couple of mine included) that had a deadheaded pigtail...just like that one...if that is waht that is, there is a plug in for them, that goes to the 4 pin connector...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:26 am

To me its NOT typical flat four... Its a factory plug for trailer lighting and needs an adapter cable to connect "it" to typical flat four connector

On picture worth 10,000 words..

Check dealer parts department to see if they have proper cable...

Pssst.... take picture with you.....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:52 am

Dale M. wrote:To me its NOT typical flat four... Its a factory plug for trailer lighting and needs an adapter cable to connect "it" to typical flat four connector
On picture worth 10,000 words..
Check dealer parts department to see if they have proper cable...
Pssst.... take picture with you.....

Dale, that's what my welder-brother thinks, too--he's checking with his company's parts guy, 'cause they do light towing on some of the small service trucks and may have run into this connector before.

I'll print out the pic and snap another shot with my phone-cam before I go into the dealer's parts dept. ;)
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:53 pm

Maybe it could be asked what the cable wiring kit should look like for the Chevy s10 pickupImage

The below kit is a standard wire harness kit for the Chevy s10 pickup.
The cost of this kit runs between $21.00 and $30.00 depending on where you buy it.

Why not just get a new kit and get to the standard plug that all have
mentioned they would like to see at the end of the cable going to the trailerImage

1998-2004 Chevy S-10 Pickup Trailer Wiring Kit clicky
This Hoppy trailer wiring kit for the Chevy S-10 pickup described above features:
* Plug-in connector that attaches to your current wiring harness
* Standard 4-wire flat plug (*** replaceable ***)
* Terminal grease packet (eases terminal wear and prevents corrosion

Installation Instructions for s10 harness PDF clicky
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Dale M. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 pm

That is why I suggested he check with CHEV dealer....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gaelen » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:07 am

Hey, everyone...turns out that the Hoppy 41135 that brother #2 originally picked up (the one I thought I needed, but then just didn't 'look right') was in fact the right connector. The guy I bought the trailer from plugged it in, fixed my ground wire, and it worked just fine. I brought the Sunspot home last night.

Now that I've checked the wiring and the battery, looks like I've got some work cut out for me--but for now, the brake lights and turn signals work, and at least I've got her home. ;)
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets