On sale (Closeout ) at Harbor Freight

Anything electric, AC or DC

On sale (Closeout ) at Harbor Freight

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:23 pm

This may be a good thread. Or there may already be one that I haven't found yet that is suited for this...

Anyway, Battery Isolator on closeout at HF for $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93801

Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:39 pm

Those were pretty expensive in their day - They have fallen out of favor over the past few years

Problem is that semiconductor isolators like that don't allow you to get a full charge on either of the batteries they isolate. The semiconductor drops about 3/4ths of a volt, so when you apply the 13.8 charging voltage only about 13 of it reaches the battery and that's not enough to give you a full charge

Battery combiner relays (voltage sensing relays, or sometimes called ACR's for Automatic Combining Relays) are the new way to go. They isolate the two batteries all the time until they sense a charging voltage above 13 volts and then they combine the two batteries with a high power relay, so both get a full charge. When the charging voltage goes away, the relay opens and the batteries are isolated again

http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/236

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:46 pm

alphacarina says:

Battery combiner relays are the new way to go. They isolate the two batteries all the time until they sense a charging voltage above 13 volts and then they combine the two batteries with a high power relay, so both get a full charge. When the charging voltage goes away, the relay opens and the batteries are isolated again

Well, there you go! It was worth the post just to get the newer information! When I was a teenager (35 years ago) I had a 1959 Cadillac Ambulance with a huge diode and two batteries in it. And enough room between the grill and the radiator to store an ice chest in!
Cliff
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets