window air conditioner and fan wiring picture needed

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:16 am

Steve_Cox wrote:Miriam,

I have a 600 cfm fan that draws the air from the back of the AC and exhausts out the bottom of the trailer (got the idea from Woody a couple of years ago). I wired the fan to a switch that also provides the power to the AC. That way I couldn't run the AC without also running the fan. Most little window shakers have fans that keep running as the compressor cycles on and off, I'm not sure why you would want your exhaust fan to cycle with the compressor. What's up with that?

Actually Steve the little bath exhaust fans probably shouldn't be run all day and night. I think I may try to get Mike to wire a switch to come on with the air conditioner fan. I am also moving the air to the bottom shelf. There are just too many holes going in the other way.

This way I can put a vent in the side of the air cabinet for cool air and even vent from the cabin if it gets too hot outside. Just a pain to rebuild the cabinet. For now it will be ugly. I am running out of time to have any fun.

And Steve :pictures: Thanks
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:12 am

Miriam,

I think my point was that most little imported air conditioner fans don't cycle on and off thermostatically, only the compressor does. Also I've never run the A/C 24 hours a day, usually we switch to the Fantastic Fan when the ambient tempreture cools off at night. But on another note the little fan motor is a shaded pole "continuous duty" motor. :D
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:27 pm

Well I didn't get any pictures so I made some. I wired a plug for my fan and will, after I get some camping in change it. For those who don't want to wire a plug you can unplug the existing plug and use a grounded extension cord.

This is the plug. It is there so fans can be changed if they fail.

My hardwired cord. I used some 18-3 I had laying around.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Woody » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:50 pm

I have used an bathroom 120vac exhuast fan and have it run 24 hours a day when camping for four almost Five years with no problems so far. However I did use a a different kind without the squirel cage style blower fan. I found an exhuast fan at Lowes for about $20.00, 6 inch round bathrom exhuast fan with the propeller type blade. I found it less noisy than the squirel cage style and easier the plumb into the system. It has worked fine all these years and kept me cool and dry in the cabins of both of my teardrops. I have it wired into the breaker along with the A/C unit. So when it is turned on so is the fan. Ask any one who has seen it and they will tell you it works fine
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Tcurr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:58 am

The wealth of knowledge on this board is fantastic. I to will want to work in an ac unit into my build. I am so anxious to start and yet keep reading and realize how much prep, and thought needs to go into the design before I dive into building. UGG I am not a directions guy I am a hammer type and Ill make it fit :).
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Tom & Brenda
Westerville, Ohio
Tcurr
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:30 am

Tcurr wrote:The wealth of knowledge on this board is fantastic. I to will want to work in an ac unit into my build. I am so anxious to start and yet keep reading and realize how much prep, and thought needs to go into the design before I dive into building. UGG I am not a directions guy I am a hammer type and Ill make it fit :).

:lol: I think a bunch of us have hammers. Mine is a large rubber mallet. Works great.

Thanks Woody. I will put the plug in till I feel like tearing off the back of the air. I made my cord because I am too cheap to buy and cut one but there is already a plug there.

This fan is amazingly quiet. Don't know what it cost at the store cause Mike got it at work. Suppose to be one of the quieter ones. :)

Gotta cut a hole now... :thinking:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets