Using outlet strips

Anything electric, AC or DC

Using outlet strips

Postby andysbunny » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:39 am

New to the board so a big Howdy to all!! :D

I was wondering if anyone has tried this? Us these and then hook to an extension cord to the shore power?

Please let me know of any concerns with this idea.

Dawn

P.S. I will be building this by myself except for the heavy lifting, so I am trying to do the wiring as simple as possible.
andysbunny
Teardrop Builder

Postby beverlyt » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:16 am

Hi Dawn,
Welcome to the board! Good luck on your build and remember to post lots of pictures.

We have 12v lighting inside our trailer, but bring along an extention cord for power if we're somewhere we can use it. (Coffee pot..and air-conditioner) I'm going to have to add a power strip to our "cord" so I can "plug" more in as needed.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:00 am

Dawn,

Tecnically speaking, your power strip idea will work just fine. However, you may end up with power cords choking the living space out of your tear.

If you could find a way to keep the cords neat and out of the way, I see no problem with it.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:20 am

That setup is what I do. There is a pic in my album. There is a hole in the side of the tear. On the outside is a cover plate made for 110 use on the exterior of a house.. Spring loaded cover and gasket. On the inside, since I am a bit neurotic, I have a piec of wood that pivots over the hole. It has a groove in it.

So, when there is no cord, the cover on the outside is closed.. when the cord is in place, the wood piece pivots down over the cord, with the cord sitting in the grove... that keep little critters from slithering in during plug-in time...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Nick Taylor » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:50 am

I have an outlet strip with a surge supressor mounted on the back wall of the interior of my trailer underneath the cabinet. I cut the plug off the cord so I could stick it through an existing hole into the galley cabinets, then I put a new plug on and when I'm parked near power, I can plug an extension cord in. Works very well and is unobtrusive.

You can see it in this picture.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets