My wiring plans

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby bdosborn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:31 pm

asianflava wrote:Is there a flaw in this thinking? Would it be ok to run 16ga wire 15ft (maybe less) for the porch lights that only draw 123ma? Only be the L & R porch lights will be on that curcuit. I will probably start running wires soon (after I figure out my power panel) so I am trying to figure this out.
I know that this is nothing official but I was using this as a guide:
http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/other/wiring.htm

Just use a smaller fuse (like a 10A) to match the wire and you're fine. But I'm with Mike, its easier to use #12 throughout. Remeber that LEDS are very sensitive to voltage drop, you wont every have any issues with a bigger wire.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:12 am

I'll admit that I'm a slow learner when it comes to electrical stuff. Using Joanne's wiring diagram, am I to assume that the same fixtures are used for both 12 volt and shore power. Bob is the electrical expert here, but he is up north at the moment. I get to be the official purchaser for our build but need to know if I need one set of lights or two? Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

:?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:59 pm

catrinka,

You do not use the same fixtures. Look at the last drawing that was posted and you should notice that the shore is converted to 12VDC for all the lights and fans, etc in the teardrop.

Joanne's original drawing did not have shore power connected to it at all. None of the drawings have any 120VAC except the outlets - 1 in the galley and 1 in the cabin. The original is the plan and simple way and the last one that I posted is a much more complicated and expensive way, but it is the way that I want to do my tear.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:42 pm

I believe, with much assistance from Bruce, that the following is what should be safe and cover exactly what I want in my tear.

and a blowup of the Circuit Breakers

And finally, what Joanne's original configuration, using the tow vehicle for charging and having NO 120VAC.

Sure hope that these are correct now and that everyone can get some use from them.

Many thanks to Joanne for the original drawings and especially to Bruce for all the technical advise.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Kerry
Last edited by toypusher on Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:47 pm

So, does this mean that I buy 2 light fixtures for the ceiling, one for 12 volt and one for shore power? That's where I'm confused. From the diagram it looks like everything runs off 12 volt lights.

:?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:31 am

No, according to this diagram, you only need 12V lighting. When using shore power, the converter will change it from AC to 12VDC allowing you to use 12V lighting that is plugged into shore power.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:32 am

Thank you Asian.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:50 am

Joanne,

Should you and or I put a copyright on your drawing and the modified one that I have been doing. Have you read the discussion in the General section about somebody stealing stuff from websites, etc and putting it on a CD to seel on ebay? :roll: I can not copyright anything without your permission (the original drawing belongs to you) :thumbsup:

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Some thoughts on wiring

Postby An Ol Timer » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:58 pm

Two things that I have done befrore with wiring is to put in more wires than I need so that if a wire goes bad or I upgraded then at least the wiring is already in place. I also used plastic water pipe as a chase for long runs. easier to run wires without having to tear things up.

Another thing that I will be doing that I haven't seen on the forum (probably just missed it) is to install a high center mounted rear brake light on the hatch like the autos of today have. Most of the trailers that I have seen have their brake lights very low. As a former motorcycle rider I want to be seen. On my Gold Wing I had a pulsating brake light on my trunk for many years and although it was illegal being that it pulsated it sure was effective.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Postby KZ76017 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:21 am

toypusher wrote:I believe, with much assistance from Bruce, that the following is what should be safe and cover exactly what I want in my tear.

In this picture there is a Converter/charger is this the type of thing that is meant?
This is a power inverter is this the same thing?
KZ76017
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:05 am

KZ76017

I could not get your link to come up for me, so I am not postive what you are looking at. However, an inverter is not what is in the drawing. It is a 110/120Volt AC to 12Volt DC power converter and a 12Volt battery charger. This is an example:

http://www.bestconverter.com/purchase.html

You could also use just a battery charger like this one:

http://www.batterychargers.com/details.cfm?prodid=SSC%2D1500A&catid=2

A power inverter converts 12V DC to 120VAC for small loads.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that you have to be careful which battery charger or power converter that you get. It needs to keep the battery charged, but you don't want it to get overcharged and due damage.

I think that Bruce (bdosborn) is an electrical engineer and could give you advice on the exact specs you need for this type of application.

Hope this clarrifies the drawing for you.

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Terminology

Postby Anon 1 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:56 pm

A lot of misused terminology here.

Look up converters, transformers, inverters, ect
Anon 1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:47 am

I came across this wiring diagram for the Scamp trailer and thought it might add to this thread:

Sadly it doesn't give wire sizes or fuse ratings, but it does show quite a few items. The source page is here.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby MeTrO » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:48 am

Hey Toy Pusher,

Using your last posted wiring diagram, with the shore and a/c power, how would you add the wiring for the trailer so that the battery would also charge when it was plugged in to the 7 pin trailer connector (hooked up to the vehicle's battery)?

Thanks.
Don't just float through life, make waves.
MeTrO
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:29 am

MeTrO,

If you look at Joanne's orgininal drawings on the 1st page of this thread, you will see how to do that. You just connect it parallel to the system in my drawing, which is a modified version of Joanne's original drawing.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1941&start=0

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets