Electric Fridge, ASAP

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Woodyperk6 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:40 pm

madjack wrote:...this may be a little late but Dometic sells a 3 way absorbtion unit for 350 bucks...may be a better choice if you have no shore power available....
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-r ... rc4000.htm
...if shore power is available, a regular 120vac dorm type fridge may be what you are looking for..............
madjack 8)

I bought one of these to take to IRG2. My thoughts are run it on 12v during the day in the back of my truck,120v at campsites along the way at night, & propane at IRG. We will use it only for food & a regular ice chest for drinks. Can't stand ice chest water in the food. We'll see how it works out.
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Wed May 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Paul
What size Engle do you have. Do you like the size you have? I'm up in the air on size. I can, just barely, fit the 32 Litre in where my cooler now fits. I'm not sure if I like the idea of it running inside a somewhat sealed galley. I don't want it to cook. I'm also thinking about the 40 Litre and mounting it in the back of my TV. That way it'll be there when I disconnect and go 4 wheeling. It will be running off the TV when driving but will be disconnected when the TV is off, then it will run off the TD battery. (I have an isolated charge wire from my TV to my TD). Also we are leaving Sunday on a trip and I can find, localy, the 40 but not the 32.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed May 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Gerdo wrote:Paul
What size Engle do you have. Do you like the size you have? I'm up in the air on size. I can, just barely, fit the 32 Litre in where my cooler now fits. I'm not sure if I like the idea of it running inside a somewhat sealed galley. I don't want it to cook. I'm also thinking about the 40 Litre and mounting it in the back of my TV. That way it'll be there when I disconnect and go 4 wheeling. It will be running off the TV when driving but will be disconnected when the TV is off, then it will run off the TD battery. (I have an isolated charge wire from my TV to my TD). Also we are leaving Sunday on a trip and I can find, localy, the 40 but not the 32.

I have a 50lt and would consider it just big enough for extended trips. I run mine in the TV but it will fit on the bench of the TD when in transit if I want to use the TD battery to run it instead or want to leave it out of the Jeep. I'd say get the biggest that is practical for you, you'll easily fill it with extra beer if need be :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby PaulC » Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 am

Gerdo wrote:Paul

I have a 32 Litre for weekend trips and the 40 Litre for anything upto 5 days. When we do an extended trip we use the 32L as the freezer and the 40L as the fridge.
The first fridge we purchased was the 40L. We've had that for about 5 years, now.
If I was a first timer in the market for a fridge I, personally, would recommend the 40L as a starter.
Sorry Steve, but I think 50L, and bigger, are overkill. A mate has the 60L fridge/freezer combo and has all sorts of strife getting it to work just right.

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal choice and the amount of available space you have to carry it.

I am very conscious of having air circulation around the motor/compressor area.
i hope this helps you, Gerdo.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Gerdo » Fri May 30, 2008 8:09 pm

I broke down and bought the 45 quart/40 litre. I noticed in the manual that you should have about 6" of space around the vents. If I bought the 35 quart I still couldn't put it where my cooler was in my galley because it would have just fit but wouldn't have had the ventalation that it would need.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:18 am

This thing is great. I have it set to #2 and it stays a constant 37*. I had it unplugged for about an hour and it barely changed.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby pete.wilson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Hey

I used to own an ex-johnson county Kansas ambulance for my bigfoot investigations and I used a 4.3c.f. magic chef running on strictly 115vac. I had it wired to run off of shore power through an extension cord plugged into the side of the truck or I would use 2 series 31 trolling motor batteries running a 2200 Watt inverter when remote. Bouncing around never gave me a problem even on dirt roads etc. I had it hard mounted into the ambulance.

Pete Wilson
Kansas Bigfoot investigation
Ottawa, KS
Why hasn't anyone found a dead bigfoot? When was the last time you found a dead deer, bear, coyote, fox, squirrel, etc. that died in the woods.........Hmmm.
pete.wilson
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:54 pm

My fridge is awesome!!! Lisha also loves it. Tons of room and never needs ice. No more soggy waterlogged food.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets