fridge recommendations

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Greg, sure glad you got it running...also sounds like customer support came thru just fine....

Steve/Greg, look forward to hearing additional reports on this unit........

madjack 8)

p.s. one thing I would be particuarly interested in hearing is your thoughts/impressions on the size/use/weight of the different sized units y'all have purchased.......MJ
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby greg755 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:56 pm

This is a pretty large cooler, I hope it fits in the back of the tear...

It is 6 degrees out tonight so I will go out tomorrow and check that out.

It runs quiet and seems to get cold pretty quick. I have only run it on the 110 so far.

I have not tried the Fast Freeze function yet.

The space inside has two baskets. One Large Basket that is about 14"x14"x20" and goes all the way top to bottom.

The other is about 14x10x10 and sits on a shelf over the compressor housing.

These measurements are estimate, will have to measure for sure tomorrow when I can get out side.

Since Mine was a n open box model it does have a small dent, barley
noticeable.

The latches, hinges and handles seem solid, the latches are all metal the handles and hinge's are plastic.

It weighs 57 pounds, because of its size it is a little bulky to move, not to bad, but when it is loaded I will have someone give me a hand.

Setting the temperature was easy.

I wish that they would have put the control panel on the front and the two plug outlets on the back, right now they are both located on the left hand side.

That will be ok for the gauge when I install it on a slide out, but I may get in there and rewire the plug outlets to the back, I will have to see how the cord(s) react when it is in place.
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:05 pm

Greg:

That is a big box for sure.
Seems like you got a plan and would be interested in any pics of
modifications you might decide to do on the electrical?
BTW: They do make a 90 degree angle plug that might work for the side
mount AC, if you don't want to change your power connection.
They do recommend that you not crowd the vents on that side
and to be careful of enclosing unit.

My 43qt. is smaller of course and it is a chore to man handle.
It is wise that you will choose help with your beast, when lifting.

Will look forward to our testing as times go forward, Greg.

I don't see uP by your avatar a state and place you live.
Can you share that information?
What temps do you expect to use your fridge in mostly?

Steve
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby greg755 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Steve,

I live in Seneca Falls NY.

Went to my profile and added that info to the signature line but I don't think it is showing up.

I didn't even think of using an angled plug (DUH) that would work, I think I have one left over from an old computer somewhere...

By the way I talked to the tech and he said not to use the FF mode for extended periods of time, 2-3 hours every once in a while is ok, but the compressor is so small that you/we don't want to stress it to bad.

He said he has had his running for over a year and a half (normal mode) constantly with no problems..

I planed on keeping mine at about 34-35 degrees and doubt I will ever use the FF mode, I don't need to cool down the beer that fast... Up here in NY most of the days will be in the 76-82 degree range maybe a couple of days it will spike up to the high eighties lower nineties.. When I get back home in the south (one day, GO GATORS) then I would expect many days in the upper eighties to mid nineties.

I think when I put my "Family Size" Stouffers Frozen Lasagna in there I may not have to turn the darn thing on for a half a day or so.
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby sdtripper2 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Greg:

Thanks for the heads uP on the fast freeze mode info from the tech.

Steve :)
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby greg755 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:48 pm

ARG! :duh: OK Mental Note, USE THE DARN TAPE MESURE BEFORE YOU ORDER. I didn't look under the shelf and realize that the back wall of the tear extends another 8-10 inches to allow for the bed. :oops: I may be able to move that wall about 4-5 inches and still make it work.

This is what I don't get, the 63qt cooler (according to the specifications) is only a couple of inches longer and higher than the 43qt, but holds 20 qts more and is 2 pounds lighter? (57 verses 59)

Any ways, I am in the process of talking to Steve F. with modification plans. I may have to make a big box and put the Fridge, stove and propane bottle in that and attach it to the back of the tear, like the "freedom grille" or the "Hitch Kitchen". Actually it would be like a hybrid of the two.

Other than that evry thing is just hunkie dory....
If by a miracle Steve can fit the stove and fridge into the galley (i think I'm going to be about 2 inches short) he will truly be promoted to "Tear God" status.

This will be interesting to see how this turns out, I will be posting in my album pictures when we get rolling...
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Gerdo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Can you rotate the fridge 90*?

I keep mine in my TV. This allows me to access it while driving and on day excursions. It is powered of the same wire that charges my TD battery and is solenoid iso from the TV battery. When the TD is plugged into the TV, the fridge runs off the TD battery.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:49 pm

quick side track...

I thought I heard that name before...

We've camped at Watkins Glen, (one lake over), and I've worked in Ithaca, (other end of your lake). I really like the finger lakes region of NY. We'll have to get back out that way soon.

Mike...

P.s. Last trip to the finger lakes...:
http://www.mikenchell.com/Watkins_Glen_Photo_Album/

back on track... :D

greg755 wrote:Steve,

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Trackstriper » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Greg & Steve,

I've been looking at the specifications for the 43qt and 63 qt units. Regarding interior volume they are somewhat ambiguous, speaking about basket sizes and compressor step depth. What puzzles me is that the 63qt unit theoretically has about 45% more internal capacity than the 43qt fridge, but this is done with only about 15% more external volume. I understand that the compressor and foam insulation will eat internal space in a non-linear way, but might you guys take a couple of photos of the interior and maybe give us a few approximate dimensions. I'm just curious where all that extra space came from with the 63qt model. Thanks.

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jonolin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:quick side track...

I thought I heard that name before...

We've camped at Watkins Glen, (one lake over), and I've worked in Ithaca, (other end of your lake). I really like the finger lakes region of NY. We'll have to get back out that way soon.

Mike...

P.s. Last trip to the finger lakes...:
http://www.mikenchell.com/Watkins_Glen_Photo_Album/

back on track... :D

greg755 wrote:Steve,

My wife is from the Rochester area, so we've visited the Finger Lakes many times. Very nice area of the country. I love that the falls at Watkins Glen are smack dap in downtown, or at least that's how I remember it. Betcha I could talk Sarah into a trip in the tear to the Finger Lakes. It's hard to find Finger Lake region wines in Georgia. Whoops, thread hijack there, sorry. Wait, I can get this back on topic: For a trip that long we might need a real 12v fridge instead of the thermoelectric thing we've got now, so I look to forward to hearing more reviews on these two fridges. (there how was that? Back on topic?)
Jonathan
Jonolin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greg755 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:46 pm

OK
I measured the baskets.

The big Basket is 15" L x 12-1/2w x 15" deep. The smaller basket that sits over the compressor is 8"L x 12-1/2"w x 7" deep.

Basically I can fit 2 - 1 gallon milk jugs in the smaller basket if I cut off the top 2 inches of the milk jug.

STEVE, what do your baskets measure?

Watkins Glen is pretty, there are 4 or 5 waterfalls in the area that are easy to get to...

I actually live on the canal that connects Seneca and Cayuga lakes (about dead center) so it is a short boat ride through the Locke's to either lake.

Any one wanting to visit can camp in the back yard next to the river and use the dock if you want too... Its a nice place to have coffee in the morning...

Now back to the fridge: I cant seem to figure out how to put pictures in this thread, SO what I will do is pack the darn thing full of goodies and tell you how much I got crammed into it....
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby iOpine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:09 pm

:thumbsup:

Thanks for pointing me to this! I ordered the 43qt a few minutes ago. Went to the Expedition Portal forum to check it out there and found that there's an additional $20 off coupon code today: "VALENTINE09"

This has been a big month for me. My daughter totaled the minivan (she's fine), which gave me an opportunity to pull the trigger on some long-awaited purchases: '05 Toyota 4Runner V8, LG "Rough Rider," and now this fridge. More to come in terms of equipping both the 4Runner and LG.

:D
John
"Often wrong, but never in doubt!!"
iOpine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gerdo » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Welcome. You are going to enjoy your new purchases.

It's not much of a place to take the TD but my favorite camping spot was Red River Gorge.

Your going to have to make a trip out to MOAB and to some wheeling and camping.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greg755 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:07 pm

I have been trying to find a way to bank roll my 56 project.

Just gave my 12 year old daughter the keys to the SUV ;)

Thanks for the tip....

GAWD just kidding
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby iOpine » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Yea, that's not the recommended approach to exchanging vehicles. It's also a little difficult to hand her the keys to the Runner!
Gerdo wrote:It's not much of a place to take the TD but my favorite camping spot was Red River Gorge.

We tent-camped at the gorge last spring. Great hikes and nice Kentucky scenery. I intend to do a couple of "shakedown" trips this spring that will include the Gorge and Mammoth cave.
Gerdo wrote:You're going to have to make a trip out to MOAB and to some wheeling and camping.

That's for sure, but I won't make it this year. This summer it's a bun-busting 3-week road trip to Denali Nat. Park and back! (Why? I don't know. I just have to.)

And, to get this a little closer to the topic, that's the reason for the refrigerator purchase. 21 days, mostly on the road, with meals planned for rest stops during the day and camping about 75% of the nights. It'll be a huge convenience I didn't think I could afford until I heard about the EdgeStar.
John
"Often wrong, but never in doubt!!"
iOpine
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets