fridge recommendations

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby greg755 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:34 pm

go here they have the edgestar 43 and 63 on sale with free shipping...

http://www.compactappliance.com/12-Volt ... lt,sc.html
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby greg755 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm

At the same link (above) if you go to the clearence tap and then Open Box they have a monster 86qt for around $499 and a couple of others. the open box one is more than the sale price of a new one?????

I bought mine from the open box and it works fine, saved a ton of money.....

they have a 63 qt one in the open box for 439 which is a dollar MORE than what they sell it for on the regular page, call them up and offer them $350....
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby astrotrailer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:36 pm

The Edgestar does have a lower price but for my needs the power
draw was more important than the price. The Engels have a good
track record and I am sure I will be happy with the unit I purchased.
astrotrailer
Teardrop Master

63 Quart Edgestar

Postby Digger403 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:37 am

I just picked up the 63 quart Edgestar from Compact Appliance while it was on sale for $448.00 (they might still be on sale). I ordered it on March 15th, it was shipped on March 16th, and was delivered on March 23rd. The shipping was free.

I have been running it on AC, and have it set for 28 degrees. It runs very quietly, and the temperature swings from 25 to 30 degrees. I think the temperature will stabalize more when I fill it with something other than one bag of party ice.

My Little Guy 6-wide is scheduled to ship this coming Friday, so it won't be too long before I can figure out where the Edgestar will reside.
The promise of tomorrow is another campfire and a new trail to explore.
Digger403
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:08 am

There are RV Fridge alarms available that "Monitor temperature inside your RV refrigerator and protect food in the fridge from freezing or spoiling. Emits an audible alarm and flashes a warning light when temperature exceeds set high or low limits." (Camco) for about 20$
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: 63 Quart Edgestar

Postby iOpine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:17 am

Digger403 wrote:I have been running it on AC, and have it set for 28 degrees. It runs very quietly, and the temperature swings from 25 to 30 degrees. I think the temperature will stabalize more when I fill it with something other than one bag of party ice.

My 43q unit does the same thing (temp varies by about 5-7 degrees) no matter how full it is. But in freezer mode I set it to 0F; it varies from 3 below to 4 above. Here in my office it serves to keep drinks and snacks cold. It's set at 37F and varies from 33 - 40. The good side to this is that it usually only cycles the compressor 2 or 3 times per hour.
John
"Often wrong, but never in doubt!!"
iOpine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby greg755 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:56 am

I got the 63 quart and it takes up a lot of real estate but it is worth it...

The flucuation in tempeture is no big deal (you fridge and freezer at home do the same thing) I just set mine at 33 and it works out fine...
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby Digger403 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks for the alarm info, Shadow Catcher. I think I will try the indoor/outdoor thermometer unit to keep track of the temperature remotely, and if I have any issues...I will try the alarm.

iOpine... it looks like the temperature swing won't ever be an issue as long as I allow for it.

greg755... I think I am going to be very happy with the 63 quart size. I haven't seen the larger or smaller sizes yet but might eventually consider the 80+ size for a cabin I am planning to build off grid. The fact that they run on 12 volts makes the propane for cooking and lighting last much longer than it would if you had to run a fridge on it too.
Digger403
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 8ball_99 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Not really a fridge but I thought I would ask. Has anyone tried one of those coleman Extreme or the Ultimate Extreme coolers? I've been reading up on them. They are suppose to hold ice for 5-6 days with 90f outside temps.. The reviews on amazon seem to agree they really do work. The extreme version goes for as little as 42 bucks for a 62-Quart. If a Frozen 2 liter bottle will keep a cooler cold for a few days thats all we need..
8ball_99
500 Club

Postby Digger403 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:40 pm

8ball.... something like that would work really well for me if I used the Edgestar as a freezer, and rotated frozen water bottles into the Coleman whenever needed. That way, I could keep the freezer stuff frozen, and the cooler stuff in the Coleman.

I have heard good things about the Coleman with the swing latch that keeps the lid on tight... but I have not used one yet.

Digger
Digger403
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:41 pm

We have one of the Ultimate Extreme coolers and how well it lives up to the hype is largely dependent on temperature of the ice going into it and how often you open it.
I am considering a Eutectic Autofridge or WAECO for the future. one othe3r possibility is building your own using a Dan Foss compressor. Isotherm makes a kit that can be used to build your own or work with an existing cooler. http://www.isotherm.com/prodimg/1994-1_large.jpg
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Goatdog » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:36 pm

Just waking up this thread to say my 43qt Edgestar has been running continously since March 2010 in my 04 4Runner. I do have a dual battery system that I installed, using an Optima Red Top as a starter batt and a Blue Top as a deep cycle. Running thru a SurePower isolator and using 4ga wires.

I do think the Edgestar is a good deal. I am VERY happy i bought it.
Goatdog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:25 am

We ended up with a Waeco and as I have said elsewhere Nancy was upset with the cost until she used it. I installed a 10 ga wire to the battery in the TV as the wire to the rear power point was wimpy and used SB50 Anderson power poles to connect after cutting off the lighter plug.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Picked up the twin to this unit Friday at a yard sale for $40.00.

Haier 4.3 cu ft

The tiny trailer gods are helping me with the Caboose build :D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby cuyeda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:39 am

Engel... Waeco... Has as anyone compared ARB coolers? There is also a slide bracket accessory available.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Fridges/20.aspx

ImageImage
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets