Porch lights.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby TonyCooper » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:51 pm

George,

Nice faceplates!

Get a couple of scraps of 1/2" thick aluminum and have them milled to the faceplate dimensions. Then drill a hole of appropriate size in the center and mount your bulbs. A gasket on both sides should seal it well enough and the aluminum would match your tear skin. Only possible problem is lense ability to handle UV. If the lense is glass you are home free.
Tony

My Tear Build Site

"No comment"
TonyCooper
Official Pot Stirrer

Postby Georgeandpat » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Thanks for the tip Tony. I actuall bought some 3/8" thick aluminum and started to do that but it was taking me too long to do with my limited tools. I may have to get a machinist to help. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:01 pm

Georgeandpat wrote:I'm still trying to find a porch light that I like. I've seen a couple of S.S. aisle/step lights on the city buses that I think would really work well as a retro-looking porch light. Anyone know where I can find something like that? Thanks, George.

I saw these http://www.searshomecenter.com/homecent ... 7&partner= in a catalog and thought they might be close. There are four solar units for $100.

Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Georgeandpat » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks Rob, That is an interesting concept- solar powered lighting for the porch lights. The fixtures themselves look a little too modern for me but I definitely like the idea of solar powered lights to conserve the battery. After all, as far as I'm concerned, the porch light is really only used to find your way- not to read or cook by. George.
Georgeandpat
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets