Electronic Thermostat for Window Unit

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electronic Thermostat for Window Unit

Postby Larwyn » Sat May 21, 2005 8:03 am

Anybody here know what to look for in a thermostat to control a window unit through 12v DC relays. I have no problem with the relay scheme and have plenty of surplus relays on hand. Just not sure which thermostats will function properly with 12v DC.

My air conditioning unit is at the foot of the bed and hard to get to. I have removed the factory controls, made a mounting plate for them, and run the wires to the blancket chest at the front of the trailer. I would rather convert to 12v DC controls than have the 120AC running front to back (kind of like having an additional 12 ft extension cord). I know the digital thermostat would be an improvment over the mechanical original and want to check into this before I install either.
Probably have to stick with battery powered digital thermostat in order to use on the 12 v DC system.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby mexican tear » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:16 pm

Larwyn

Check out my pics. I use a 39 dollar teardrop shape thermostat from Home Depot and control the plug with a 12 volt relay. I camped for a month or so and had no problem with the setup.

kai
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets