Experimenter's Cabin Light

Anything electric, AC or DC

Experimenter's Cabin Light

Postby An Ol Timer » Sun May 22, 2005 7:53 pm

I have used a small a small type flouresent 12 vdc light for a few years now, mostly for camping. It might be something that the experimenters of the group, might want to give a try. This particular one draws .400 ma @ 12 vdc. The tube is about 11" long by 3/16" in diameter and gives off a moderate amount of light. It is powered here by a small DC converter rated @12 vdc and 1 A. In practical use any source of 12 vdc applied at the red and black wires on the printed circut board is all that is needed. I plan on using one for some of the lighting in the cabin of my tear. Here is a picture of the latest one that I have salvaged.

The picture below shows it in an interior room of my home with the overhead light on.

The picture below is with the overhead light shut off.

This particular unit was salvaged from an old 1997 Memorex flat bed scanner. I first got interested in these units when I wondered what the source of pure white light was under my scanner cover when I opened it was and how they obtained it from a 12 vdc source. I usually tear all my old equiptment apart after it's lifetime. Great source of parts and ideas.
An Ol Timer
Teardrop Master

Return to Electrical Secrets