Super Simple Electrical System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby caseydog » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 pm

I wish I could help you guys with a super simple DC system. I've never tried to make one.

I'll ask around.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby J.Heyboer » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:17 pm

I believe you can use the super simple build for your AC power and then use a 12Volt power supply from Radio Shack to power your fan.

Should be able to plug the power supply into one of the power strips and then hook directly to your fan circuit.

Just make sure that buy a power supply with enough current, check the box on your fan to see how much you need.

John
J.Heyboer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Super Simple Electrical system

Postby egjacks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:10 pm

Dant wrote:
I wish someone had answered you. I have the same request, a simple DC system. Since I do not plan to stay at an RV park, I'm not installing any AC system.

All I need is a simple way to charge my house bank while driving, then disconnect when camping and use the house bank. I'll eventually put in solar panels to supplement, but I will only need power for low demand items like a fan, lights, recharging things like an electric tooth brush and tablet computer, ipods and the like.

I have not gotten around to doing any electrical yet, but I plan on doing some sort of variation on Joanne's electrical. She has some good pictures of how she put it all together in the Desert Dawg. Just simplify hers a bit. Does that help?

Joanne's website http://www.asolidfoundation.com/dd_electrical_1.shtml
Eric
Teardrop Master

Re: Super Simple Electrical System

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:42 pm

caseydog wrote:A forum moderator requested that I post up how I made the super-simple electrical system for my minimalist teardrop. It's cheap. It's easy. It works.

You will need a Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet, available at Amazon.com for about twenty bucks. You also need a one-to-three short power cord, available from HD or Lowes, a hole saw for your power drill, some wire cutters/strippers, and a screw driver.

If you want, you can opt for a GFCI equipped short cord, like mine.

Drill the hole for your Marinco charger inlet.

Cut the three-prong end off of the power cord, and separate and strip the three conductors to attach to the charger inlet.

Slide the rubber cover from the charger inlet over the cord, and poke the wires through the hole in your wall from the inside to outside.

Attach the three conductors securely to the charger adapter. Slide the rubber cover up to cover the insides of the charger inlet and connections.

Insert the power inlet into the hole in your wall, and secure it with the three mounting screws that come with the inlet. A rubber gasket with a cap for the inlet comes with the inlet to keep it watertight.

You now have a super simple system that can handle 15 AMPS. I plug my Heater or AC into one outlet depending on the season. In my galley, I mounted a surge-protecting power strip. I plug that into another outlet. I have one open outlet for use as needed.

CD

Hey that looks like the system I did in the Lil Diner! :thumbsup:

Good job CD!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:44 pm

For a simple DC system, how about running a single fused circuit from a battery to a 12vdc plug? But don't use the frame. Run your ground wires directly.
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Richard A. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:06 pm

Dant wrote: Prob'ly use a small inverter for things that are made for 120 VAC, but have minimal draw.

VERY minimal I hope. You realize that an inverter can draw considerable 12v current. For every 100 watts of AC you draw about 10 AMPS of 12vdc.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:36 pm

Richard A. wrote:VERY minimal I hope. You realize that an inverter can draw considerable 12v current. For every 100 watts of AC you draw about 10 AMPS of 12vdc.

Your post makes me feel as though you oppose the use of inverters. I have a "little" 400w inverter that I use all the time when I'm boondocking. Its maximum power output is 3.48A (AC), which would draw approximately 34.8A (DC).

So what? It takes less than an amp of either to kill a human.

You have to take safety precautions whether you are working with AC or DC.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Richard A. » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:28 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Your post makes me feel as though you oppose the use of inverters. I have a "little" 400w inverter that I use all the time when I'm boondocking. Its maximum power output is 3.48A (AC), which would draw approximately 34.8A (DC).

So what? It takes less than an amp of either to kill a human.

You have to take safety precautions whether you are working with AC or DC.

No, my point was not safety related.

I think too many folks do not realize how much 12v current even a "small" inverter can draw, and thus drain the battery faster then they may have thought.
Richard A.
Boston, MA, USA
2008 Little Guy Silver Shadow
Richard A.
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Sevo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:50 pm

sorry to bring up an old thread

IS there any chance they make a cord like the one above that will handle 30 amps? Or is it a bad idea to do this in 30amp?

I understand this for when you attach to an RV outlet, is this where you plug your generator in as well? Sorry for the stupid question, I am trying to wrap my head around the electrical part of these builds

thanks

Chris
Chris L.

http://www.NAFEX.net
The North American Falconers Exchange
Sevo
Teardrop Builder

Super Simple Electrical System

Postby Verna » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:59 am

I think this will come in handy. Thanks!!

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Re: Super Simple DC converter

Postby cpinetree » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:07 pm

Here is way to make a super simple AC to DC converter, to run fantastic fans, lights, etc.
You likely can build from old computer power supplies you or someone you know has.

It would be a good idea to add fuses in line, appropriately sized for the device being run.

link 1: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

link 2 long, slow video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1-xwwURJc&feature=related
cpinetree
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 pm

cpinetree wrote:Here is way to make a super simple AC to DC converter, to run fantastic fans, lights, etc.
You likely can build from old computer power supplies you or someone you know has.

It would be a good idea to add fuses in line, appropriately sized for the device being run.

link 1: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply

link 2 long, slow video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1-xwwURJc&feature=related

Which part of this is the "super simple" part?
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby pohukai » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:26 pm

This is exactly what I plan to do as well; use old power supplies and computer case fans and 12v lighting. Who cares that it doesn't have a fancy painted case; they're out of sight anyway. I just plan to use a power resistor instead of the light bulb to fake the load of a motherboard.

Jim
pohukai
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 pm

pohukai wrote:This is exactly what I plan to do as well; use old power supplies and computer case fans and 12v lighting. Who cares that it doesn't have a fancy painted case; they're out of sight anyway. I just plan to use a power resistor instead of the light bulb to fake the load of a motherboard.

Jim

Just don't use it to charge a 12V battery. DC power supplies are not battery chargers.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby pavejon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:04 am

Total Newbie here. I have one question about the super simple AC set up. Is this setup plugged into the 30 amp receptacle at the campground or the 15-20 amp household receptacle using a plug adapter?

Jon
pavejon
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets