Super Simple Electrical System

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Super Simple Electrical System

Postby VT800C » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm

Used this exact system, feeding a pair of 12 outlet power strips (one in the galley, one in the cabin) and it's PERFECT! works like a champ and all who see it are impressed! Thank you for this!
VT800C
Teardrop Builder

Postby Modstock » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Just ordered the charger adapter. Cant wait to try this out.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:00 am

Houston, we have POWER ! ImageImageImage

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PabloCerakote » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:16 pm

I would like to do something similar but have a 30a break box in line. Does this graphic look correct? Image

My main power is 110v off a old farm house. My intent is to run a Ac/heat unit and charge my cell phone.
PabloCerakote
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Does this graphic look correct?

Why seperate circuits for each 20 amp outlet?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:12 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Does this graphic look correct?

Why seperate circuits for each 20 amp outlet?

T

When connected to 30 amp shore power, and also to isolate the air conditioner on its own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby bdosborn » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:45 pm

How many BTUH is your A/C? You probably don't need a 30a circuit for that. 20a plugs are much more comment than 30a in the rest of the world. I run my A/C and everything else on 20a for 10 years now.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Do that many members only camp at serviced sites?

I always assumed we were mostly off grid. . .
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Pinstriper » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:20 pm

Can't answer to that, but the diagram showed a 30 amp plug, which lined up with a logical explanation.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby ArtMini » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:14 pm

caseydog wrote:A forum moderator requested that I post up how I made the super-simple electrical system for my minimalist teardrop. It's cheap. It's easy. It works.

You will need a Marinco 150BBI.RV RV On-Board Charger Inlet, available at Amazon.com for about twenty bucks. You also need a one-to-three short power cord, available from HD or Lowes, a hole saw for your power drill, some wire cutters/strippers, and a screw driver.

If you want, you can opt for a GFCI equipped short cord, like mine.

Drill the hole for your Marinco charger inlet.

Cut the three-prong end off of the power cord, and separate and strip the three conductors to attach to the charger inlet.

Slide the rubber cover from the charger inlet over the cord, and poke the wires through the hole in your wall from the inside to outside.

Attach the three conductors securely to the charger adapter. Slide the rubber cover up to cover the insides of the charger inlet and connections.

Insert the power inlet into the hole in your wall, and secure it with the three mounting screws that come with the inlet. A rubber gasket with a cap for the inlet comes with the inlet to keep it watertight.

You now have a super simple system that can handle 15 AMPS. I plug my Heater or AC into one outlet depending on the season. In my galley, I mounted a surge-protecting power strip. I plug that into another outlet. I have one open outlet for use as needed.

CD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F6 ... UTF8&psc=1 this is what I used to bring A.C. Into the trailer. I wanted something simple
Mimi
HAVE FUN STORMING THE CASTLE!!!!
ArtMini
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Super Simple Electrical system

Postby iconicflux » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:51 pm

Thats an interesting thing because there are many thing that use 12v dc wallwart to a barrel connector.

Maybe therell be an rv hacks thread next.

Dant wrote:
yakcamper wrote:That's great. Nice pics. Now does anyone have a super simple DC install pics. I'm getting ready to do the dc on my tear, with my neighbors help. I've looked at so many posts, my head is spinning. ...

Thanks for any input. Dazed and confused :?

I wish someone had answered you. I have the same request, a simple DC system. Since I do not plan to stay at an RV park, I'm not installing any AC system.

All I need is a simple way to charge my house bank while driving, then disconnect when camping and use the house bank. I'll eventually put in solar panels to supplement, but I will only need power for low demand items like a fan, lights, recharging things like an electric tooth brush and tablet computer, ipods and the like.

My plan is to simply connect a fuse panel to the battery and wire in some 12 VDC cigarette lighter sockets. Prob'ly use a small inverter for things that are made for 120 VAC, but have minimal draw.

Speaking of which, my favorite reading light is an LED array that plugs into 120 VAC. I removed the converter and it seems to work fine on 12 VDC.

I'm wondering if anyone else has done that and what are the pros and cons; that is, converting a 120 VAC device to 12 VDC simply by removing the built in converter.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Super Simple Electrical system

Postby bdosborn » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:52 am

iconicflux wrote:Thats an interesting thing because there are many thing that use 12v dc wallwart to a barrel connector.

Here's the super simple, AC and DC in a box:

Portable Power Station

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:36 pm

I like the idea, to a certain extent. However can I add my own variant of this idea?

Instead of the triple block extension cord, why not use a 15 amp mountable outlet strip? Or even just a double gang box, 2 double recepticles and proper extension cord to provide the power to the box from the input port? Probably OCD, but the dangling triple bugs me somewhat.

Is there any way to secure it down?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Graniterich » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:55 pm

bdosborn wrote:
iconicflux wrote:Thats an interesting thing because there are many thing that use 12v dc wallwart to a barrel connector.

Here's the super simple, AC and DC in a box:

Portable Power Station

Bruce
They shut down after a few hours with no power drain, middle of the night, get up to do your business, need to turn jackery back on to turn on outside light , deal breaker for me
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:09 pm

This is a fantastic idea. I did however put my own touches on the general idea.

The power pass through port is on the way from Amazon as I type this.

I dredged up the rest from my leftovers from a remodelling project,

Standard 15 amp 110V GFCI outlet. single gang exterior watertight box, A damaged heavy duty extension cord, 12ga, that I ran a circular saw into, I managed to salvage 12' of it... a 1/2" PVC pipe plug, and a regular Decora outlet switch plate. Some assembly, a drilled hole in the plug to accomodate the cord, and some white caulk to seal up the cord plug. I did have to buy some 3/8" single hole metal cable clamps.

The front side of the thing with the GFCI.

The back side of the box, caulked plug shown, as is the cable clamps.

So I have WAY more than enough cable to put this anywhere in the camper I want. This will likely be installed in the wall immediately next to the air conditioner. So effectively the electrical input will be at the drivers side back o the camper.

The only items that require 110V are the air conditioner, and the battery charger. Every thing else electric runs on 12V. So simple and light is best.
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical Secrets