HD trailer light problem solved

Anything electric, AC or DC

HD trailer light problem solved

Postby gman » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:44 pm

Going crazy trying to make lights work, jumpered them with a battery charger, worked fine, checked prewired GM fitting, worked fine, Pluged the trailer in, hooked up everthing, no tail ,no turn no brake. Did it all again, twice, nothing, waited acouple of days, tried it again, but this time turned the head lite switch to full on,and started the motor and TADA, they work!!! The GM's have a cuttoff in the switch that works with the Daytime running lights to keep your battery from running down when hooked to a trailer, and motor is off.
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:51 am

Are you saying the car smarter than you? :) Don't feel bad It happens to me all the time in the shop. The lights would go out after 5 mins on one car unless the drivers door was open, then they would stay on. On other cars different problems, convertible tops that would drop down with power mind you and then close all they way. We just call these car possesed.

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:53 am

It sounds like you have your problem fixed. But this reminds me of a problem that my friend had with his HF trailer. He had dim lights and wierd turn signals and wierd brake lights. I found out that he did not have a good ground (the lights are grounded thru the mounting bolts and the bolts were on painted metal, grind off paint and remount) The power was flowing down a hot wire and back down the other hot wire.
Last edited by Gerdo on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:01 am

Not smarter, cuz I did figure it out, but sneakier maybe?
gman
The 300 Club

Postby gman » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:04 am

Not smarter, cuz I did figure it out, but sneakier maybe?
gman
The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:41 pm

I had the ground problem with my boat lights. It drove me crazy until I junped the ground connection to the truck chassis and I found out the problem. My lights would come on, but would have weird combinations. When I pressed the brake, the turn signals would light up. I have separate turn signals on both my truck and the boat. I tried several adapters to change separate brake/turn signals to combined standard trailer lights, and could never get them bright enough. So, I use a 6 wire connector. That is what I have on my model, both a red tail/brake light and an amber turn signal.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets