How do I put in a battery

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:42 pm

I don't know if this will fly with others on the forum..but I'll take my chances...If you don't want to go through putting in a battery bracket box etc...just get a marine deep cycle battery installed in the car...check West Marine for different sizes.....it'll give you tons of cranking amps for the car and make up a short extension cord to attach the car to the trailer when you unhook...however...you're going to have to make sure you don't run it down so far that it won't crank the car..if you drop the tear and are off driving around it's charging the battery....maybe not the official way to go, but if you are going to buy a battery for the trailer...give it a shot....either way you are going to have to buy a battery....just an idea....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Ken A Hood » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:26 pm

You could also (for now) buy a battery "powerbox". I have 1 and it has a 12V outlet and 2 110V outlets, and can be used to jump-start a battery. It can also be charged from the tow vehicle by plugging it into the cigarette lighter.

Something like THIS

I have ons similiar to THIS
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Re: How do I put in a battery

Postby Joanne » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:42 pm

Kathleen wrote:hi all! I am new here.
I just bought this:
>>>>>2005 Woody Teardrop, ready to go camping! 4'x8' with 2 doors, 3 windows that open, 2 ceiling vents, air conditioner, three 110v outlets (two in cabin, one in galley), removable galley shelving, 4 stabilizer jacks, spare tire, two 12v lights inside cabin, air mattress w/pump, bed linens, 2 sleeping bags, water carrier, camp shower pump/sprayer, and fold-up toilet. Also includes 10'x14' screen room, heavy duty extension cord, Coleman propane stove, Coleman lantern (w/fuel), ice chest, pots & pans, bowls & cooking

utensils. We pull w/ a 2.2L Toyota. Located in St. Petersburg, FL.>>>>

it was on e-bay and other places.
OK the 12v lights can be turned on when the trailer is plugged into the car. And the other electrical sockets 110v--can only be used (and the air conditioning of course) when the extrension cord is plugged in.
BUT I want them (except for the air conditioning of course) to be able to be used when not plugged into power. The trailer doesn't have a battery. How do I add a battery?
I know nothing about such things... do I bite the bullet and go to camping world and get them to install it?
I also want to put in a fantastic fan... and would want that to run off a battery also
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen!

It's nice to see another lady tear-dropper on the list. I hope you love your tear. Camping in Baja sounds like quite an adventure. I've traveled around the Sea of Cortez at various times in my life and have always loved it.

Welcome to the forum!

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:15 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:You could also (for now) buy a battery "powerbox". I have 1 and it has a 12V outlet and 2 110V outlets, and can be used to jump-start a battery. It can also be charged from the tow vehicle by plugging it into the cigarette lighter.

Something like THIS

I have ons similiar to THIS
>>>>>>

YES that is what I used in my montero.
And I might do that.... at least for a while. Then I can use it in the back of the pickup too
Thanks
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Re: How do I put in a battery

Postby Kathleen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:19 pm

[quote="Joanne>>Hi Kathleen!

It's nice to see another lady tear-dropper on the list. I hope you love your tear. Camping in Baja sounds like quite an adventure. I've traveled around the Sea of Cortez at various times in my life and have always loved it.

Welcome to the forum!

Joanne[/quote]>>>>>

The first time I drove the entire length of the Baja pennisula was 9 years ago in a honda VX hatchback with my son who as then 6 years old--packed to the hilt. We went down and lived in san jose del cabo for six months. I housesat someone's RV right on the beach while they had to be out of the country for half the year.
I cried when I left--I didn't want to go!
From then on I used my montero that we slept in.
So having the pickup and tear will be so roomy! Yet still easy to find a spot to park.
Kathleen
Kathleen
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets