Help me salvage these lamps and have fun doing it! Sconces?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Help me salvage these lamps and have fun doing it! Sconces?

Postby IraRat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:54 am

I bought two of these circular bulkhead/nautical type lamps from Lowes yesterday, but I wasn't really thinking at the time--less than usual. I'll give you the condensed version, and you can chime in wherever you'd like:

1) I have two 12-inch ship wheels that I had planned on converting to wall lamps by rigging a sconce, a neck-type thingy that I could install that other thingy to that holds a small lamp shade. I wanted to just have these turn on and off by an attached pull-chain, or that turn thingy thing that's directly on the lamp base. Maybe even a 3-way.

Problem is, I can't find these accessories at HD or Lowes to make these lamps. I need something curved, something that resembles a lamp neck.

2) So I see these bulkhead lamps for less than 10 bucks each, and I buy two. They sit perfectly in the center of the wheel, but I would now have to run a switch. I guess this is no big deal to do, right? And I can run the switch wire coming from the lamp real close to it, and just cover it with that surface wire-hider trim.

3) However, I can ALSO use these lamps for my porch lights, but again, same switching problem. I ran these independently of each other, figuring I would want the option of being able to turn them each on and off independently.

I would rather have to install switches on the outside than inside, for simple aesthetic reasons, and to figure out a way to make these interior lamps run self-switched.

Any ideas, or ideas where to look for those make-a-lamp kits?
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby DestinDave » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:43 am

Ira...HD has a lamp repair section - usually on an endcap near the ceiling fans or outdoor lighting. They carry various sizes of lamp tubing - could you possibly get a straight piece and bend it to give you the gooseneck shape you want? It would probably kink but maybe heating it up first would work. Other option is, change the lamp base (where the bulb screws in) to one that has the pull chain on it. You would need to unscrew the ones you have, pull it out enough to unscrew the wires or cut them off, and then attach the wires to the new bases and reattach them to the lamp neck. Clear as mud? :? Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:19 pm

Ira find an old fashion hardware even if you have to drive a bit. You know the kind of place where everybody that works there looks like the first world war happened yesterday, except for the new kid they always have at least one since they aren't strong enough to lift a box of nails. Ask them and they will have exactly what you want and they are very good at translating "you know that thing-am-jig that goes in the whatjamacall it" into the part you need.

:thinking:
Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Pojotex » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:25 pm

If you use lamp tubing, try packing it with wet sand before trying to bend it.
It keeps it from kinking. :thumbsup:
I know you think you understood what you thought I said,
But, I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Pojotex
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IraRat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:09 pm

Well, I found this place, but no good:

http://www.grandbrass.com/arms.cfm

How the heck can I tell what SIZE anything is without having my ship wheel with me to compare it to?

Dave, I went to those HD and Lowes endcaps--and they carry almost nothing. They have a long neck which is totally threaded (a nice fashion statement!), so forget that. But even if it wasn't, try to bend that myself?

Come on--by now, you guys should know I'm totally spastic.

Dan, there is indeed a "real" hardware store not far from my office, and I was thinking the same thing. I don't go there often for more many reasons, but this may be the one reasonI SHOULD.

It's just kind of depressing/annoying/scary to think about how these kinds of stores are being wiped off the face of the earth.

Like if they don't have what I need now, is there ANY reason for me to continually support their existence? Do we now live in a world where I actually have to order a few stupid pieces like this off the INTERNET?

We're doomed. The Chinese are taking over.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:29 pm

Why not try some 1/4 copper water pipe. Cut to length, bend it, very malable stuff to work with and then paint it. It is about the right diameter also or a tad smaller. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same as lamp parts
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cutterpup » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Ira my neighbor needed a part for his refridgerator and found one at a old fashion hardware store the owner told him that these 2 small plastic fittings will cost him $5.00 each. My neighbor started to go balistic and said they only cost a nickle but the owner said thats right but the rent to store them for 5 years was $4.95. :twisted: My neighbor said can't argue with that.

Dan
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:29 pm

Woody wrote:Why not try some 1/4 copper water pipe. Cut to length, bend it, very malable stuff to work with and then paint it. It is about the right diameter also or a tad smaller. I don't see why it wouldn't work the same as lamp parts

Woody, do you remember me talking about the spasticism? (Is that a word? I made it up!)

AND STOP TELLING ME I'M NOT! I KNOW I AM!

Seriously, for me to try and get a raw piece of copper bent right, plus getting the other pieces on there (needs threading), with all I have to do, too much work for this detail with everything else going on.

For goodness sake--I'm also really pissed right now because yesteday, some old lady from Detroit outbid me on eBay for that stupid black fish netting that I wanted.

I was too busy drinking beers and watching the naked women on HBO's new "Rome" series to pay any attention to my bid.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby DestinDave » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:30 pm

How much fish netting do you want? I had a whole wall decorated with net, shells, driftwood, etc. and it's currently in a box in my storage building. If you only want to do a wall inside the cabin I can spare some for ya. If you want to make a 12x20 foot awning better get ahold of the old lady on e-bay and sweet-talk her real good...
Back to the lamps - is everything you have what you want except for the pull-chain switch situation? I'll try and find that for you if that's all you need... Dave
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby DestinDave » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:39 pm

Update to the previous update... Check out http://www.grandbrass.com/ for everything you need. They have bent sconce arms, they have lamp sockets with pull chains, they have anything you could ever want to build or repair a lamp (wall, table, or floor)..... Reasonable prices too - probably get you on the shipping... Happy Hunting. Dave
Reality? What a concept!
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:27 am

DestinDave wrote:Update to the previous update... Check out http://www.grandbrass.com

See my post above, Dave--I may resort to this if I can't find anything locally. I appreciate you looking for me!

The problem is I can't understand/visualize the sizes of the stuff there. The wheels are 12" diameter, tip to tip, and without being able to hold the arm up to it, to see the rise, how far it sticks out. etc., just don't know what to order. Maybe I'll call them.

Also, thanks for the netting offer, but I'll figure something out. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise, and I'll come up with a better idea. I wanted to use black netting along the edges of the galley hatch, to hide imperfections. Figured I would bunch it up, attach a few cork floats at those spots, and run it along the edges.

Great thing about building a TD is that there are always 20 other things to do in the meantime--Saturday, it's DOORS.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby bennelson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:36 pm

Wow, Ira.

You really are going "over-board" with this whole nautical theme.

I salute you!

You should see the Pirate Bar I built in the basement of my old apartment.

I will have to post that with my album pix sometime.

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby bennelson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Hey Ira,

I found photos from my pirate bar, thought you might like a look

There are a couple more in my album here in the forum. I am not sure how to link you straight there, guess you have to take the long way.

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby RKH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:13 am

the rent to store them for 5 years was $4.95
:rofl:

I found photos from my pirate bar

Can you tell me how to build one of dem dar bar wenches?
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:58 pm

Cool Pirate Bar!

I didn't even think of barrels.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets