Two batteries

Anything electric, AC or DC

Two batteries

Postby Marck » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:17 pm

Ok I am planning my build of a slide in teardrop for the back of my truck, for my wife and I to sleep in thus leaving the kids in the six-pack.

I am debating putting a battery in the slideout to run things in there, OR to jack into the six-pack system, OR to run off the truck battery (which I really don't want to do)

Now if I put a battery into the slide in, and run a charging system from the tow vehicle... would it kill my alternator to keep a charge on 3 batts at once??? should I figure out a way to switch between the 2 batteries in the tear and the slideout???

Anyone???
You want to build WHAT?????

40 isn't middle aged....
IT'S YOUTH PART II
Marck
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:49 pm

How long do you plan on staying out camping? I have an Optima 'yellow to' battery that has held up to 2 and 1/2 days including running my pump to pump 7 gallons of water. ran my Fantastic 4000R for a total of about 24hrs (12 one night and 10 another) plus the lights on for reading and while we watched a movie one night. (the movie was on the laptop and did not use battery power) All this and it barely used 60% of the charge. If you have a site with shore power, just take a charger along with you. Besides, once your are setup at a site, how much will you use the tow vehicle to charge the teardrop battery?

Just my opinion and experience!

Kerry
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:00 pm

I charge my batteries with no load on them. If we are away from the trailer for extended periods of time, I plug in the charger to replenish the battery. Remembering to unplug it when I get back well that's another story. I don't see why this wouldn't work for you with both batteries. Batteries really don't run down that fast anyway. I have had mine last for 4 days even with kids watching DVD's off and on due to heavy rain and bad weather 2 of the 4 days camping
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets