wire

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Chris C » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:41 pm

Oh, I see now..............it's the light gray pieces in the picture. Neat. Thanks for responding.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:44 pm

I build control panels as part of my work in building automation. Panduit, or slot duct, is a staple in my shop. It restrains wild wires, yet allows for re-arranging or tracing them out.
The stuff in the picture is some scrap I had in the shop. Maybe I'll paint it all the same color!! :?
Note that all of the connections are crimped..can't do that reliably with solid wire.
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:36 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:I build control panels as part of my work in building automation.

He he That was the last project I used tha Panduit on. A control panel loaded with PLC's to control the fuel temps for the Space Shuttle. I had no clue what I was working on at the time. A couple months later my boss came in with a Lockheed newsletter with a picture of my box on the pad! Way Cool!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:54 pm

asianflava wrote:
Steve Frederick wrote:I build control panels as part of my work in building automation.

He he That was the last project I used tha Panduit on. A control panel loaded with PLC's to control the fuel temps for the Space Shuttle. I had no clue what I was working on at the time. A couple months later my boss came in with a Lockheed newsletter with a picture of my box on the pad! Way Cool!

Wow!! That's is cool!! All I get to work on are hospitals, waste water plants and schools. That's a cool work story to tell the grand kids!! ;) :thumbsup:
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:56 pm

That is cool. My Dad woked for Lockhead Martin back when it was Martin Marrietta. He was always working on cool stuff too. I'm like Steve, I only get to work on hospitals and schools.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:19 am

bdosborn wrote: I'm like Steve, I only get to work on hospitals and schools.
Bruce

In what field?? I'm installing/programming/servicing, building managment (DDC) systems.
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby bdosborn » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:02 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:In what field?? I'm installing/programming/servicing, building managment (DDC) systems.

I'm a consulting engineer and I design power, lighting and FA systems. We've been very active in the healthcare so thats all I've been involved in for the last 4 years.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:24 pm

I plan on using stranded wire as well, already have some. But I didn't see anyone mention 110-120V AC stranded wire being used for your AC circuits. Are most just using standard "household" 12-3 "romex" brand? Or is there a stranded wire for 110-120V AC out there that's used for RV applications?
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:46 pm

SO (or portable cord) is stranded. They carry it at most home stores. Most receptacles are rated for use with stranded wire. If it has a little shoe on the connection terminal, its good for use with stranded.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:05 pm

bdosborn wrote:SO (or portable cord) is stranded. They carry it at most home stores. Most receptacles are rated for use with stranded wire. If it has a little shoe on the connection terminal, its good for use with stranded.
Bruce

Hey Bruce, is SO cord rated for inside walls? I haven't had a copy of the NEC for about 10 years or so, used to know all that stuff by heart I read it so many times. Seems memory is (luckily) the first thing that goes.

Steve in St Augustine 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:09 pm

That's a good question. I didn't think about a rating for installing inside a wall. Its never come up before since we always use the same kinds of wire in our applications. My *guess* is SO would be since I've seen it used all over the place for temporary installations. I'll look it up tomorrow.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:24 pm

I found some 120V stranded wire; it's 3 conductor AWG 14 wire. The wire consists of 3, 14-gauge black, white and green conductors in a flame proof PVC jacket; and is DOT and coast guard approved.

Is 14 guage ok? Or should I go with 12 guage? I'll be running "standard" 110-120V shorepower, into my AC panel, then to a GFIC outlet and additional outlets run off the GFIC. I'm assuming 12 guage would be ok, since the circuit breaker would protcet the wire. (and I'm assuming the wire should be rated higher than the current through it, and that's why the breaker will trip 1st)

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:13 pm

Ken, where did you get that panel? I'm looking at this one, marine grade, for like $120 when all of the tax and shipping smoke clears. I know that's high, but I'm installing it in my cabin, so I want a nice look to it too:

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/ ... escription
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:27 pm

I picked it up (most of my parts) on eBay. I haven't started yet :oops: ,
But I want to get as much "stuff" as I can when I do start. That way I won't have to stop, to wait for parts. All need to get now, as for hardware, is my windows (waiting till I know the door thickness); a roof vent (waiting also, might just get a "plain" one no power, but WILL run wire for the future) and trim, but haven't really looked locally yet.

I think I paid around $70 plus shipping for mine; I bought it in Jan. There are usually plenty listed on eBay (Blue Sea panels etc.) Here's an AC/DC panel all in one...
AC DC panel
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets