Third Brake Light

Anything electric, AC or DC

Third Brake Light

Postby bennelson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:55 pm

Does anyone have a third brake light on their trailer?

I thought it would look nice and trailers are notorious for having a light go out, so it's not a bad idea for safety.

If anyone has a third brake light on their teardrop, could you please reply, preferably with a photo.

Also, if you did that, how did you run the wiring for it?

Thanks,

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby SteveH » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:41 am

Ben,

I just got thru installing a third stop light on my tear. I used an inexpensive J.C. Whitney LED unit and used two diodes to tie it into the existing circuits.

There are commercially available "black boxes" that you can use for the wiring also, or you could run a seperate stop light circuit wire which would require at least a 5 way connector at the hitch, but I just went the cheap easy route. The only issue with the way I did it, is the third light will also flash with the turn signals, which IMHO is a good thing because it will only draw more attention from other drivers.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:48 pm

I integrated my third brake light into the license plate light but I haven't connected it to the taillights yet. I was thinking of taking the logic unit from a cheap third brake light (Walmart) but I like the diode route, I might just do that.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:54 pm

I'm not just worried about someone seeing me stop at night--I'm worried about someone just seeing my TD in the FIRST place...forget the running lights.

So I'm considering doing something totally road illegal and connecting some low wattage funky lights somewhere just for the visibility factor.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Cutterpup » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:51 pm

So I'm considering doing something totally road illegal

Then why are you announcing it on the internet? Discreet Ira, the crab needs to be discreet. :MLAS

Judy
Cutterpup
Teardrop Master

Postby Ranger Rod » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:35 pm

Ira,
Try one of those neon rigs under the frame. It'll look like a giant firefly at night. :)
Ranger Rod
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mexican tear » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:11 pm

Here is the JCW web site for the logic module

JCW

I made mine and this photo is in my album

kai
Last edited by mexican tear on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Essie" and the Mexican Tear
mexican tear
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:15 pm

Ira...might be fun to be a rebel and all...but if it gets nailed...the insurance co...might just say forget it!!!..or the other guy
could say...he didn't have enough lights on it..and the ones that he did aren't DOT approved.......do you want to take the chance with all your efforts?.and maybe put $$ into the pocket of an ambulance chaser??...I put extra lights on mine, right after I got rear ended at a stop light in Sacramento in my Toyota...made me think about saving the tear....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Electrical Secrets