Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator Kit

Anything electric, AC or DC

Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator Kit

Postby David_L6 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:46 am

Anyone ever seen / used one of these? VERY pricey but looks like it's everything you'd want all in one package.

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/138/6:1
David_L6
Donating Member

Re: Goal Zero Yeti 1250 Solar Generator Kit

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 am

It looks like a 30 watt solar panel (maybe two), a 100ah battery, a solar charge controller, a battery charger, and a sine wave inverter all packaged nicely together.

You could duplicate the function for about half the money by buying separate components and wiring them together yourself which isn't very difficult. A benefit of using separate components is, that if something fails, the individual components are more easily replaced.

If Tumbleweed Tex were here he'd want to hear: 30 watts of solar panel isn't gonna do much at all. The energy you harvest during a typical day might run a 100 watt light bulb for a bit over two hours.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am

A nice expensive integrated system. The problem is I do not like expensive and I do not like integrated. Discrete components allow much more flexibility in what components you use and if something fails, and it will, you fix or replace only that component. I have 345W in two solar panels two Morningstar MPPT controllers 150 AH Lifeline AGM battery and Vectron monitoring for about $1550. More than I need really :roll:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:14 pm

A friend just got the 1400 watt unit, seems good if you can stand the price.
Has anyone tried using one in a trailer?
Does it do well at low frequency when starting an air conditioner?
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Aguyfromohio wrote:A friend just got the 1400 watt unit, seems good if you can stand the price.
Has anyone tried using one in a trailer?
Does it do well at low frequency when starting an air conditioner?

You might read this thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=69512

It makes no sense to me to use an (extremely) high-dollar portable electrical system in a camp trailer instead of just hard wiring it in at significantly less the cost. (Battery: $200, PD4045: $180, 160 watt folding panels: $180 ––what am I missing?)

But perhaps there would be a reason. :thinking:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets