Help , electrical question

Anything electric, AC or DC

Help , electrical question

Postby larryl » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:20 am

While working on our TD in the basement I had run an extension cord from the house 110 outlet to the trailer panel box. No problem.

Now the trailer is in the garage being finished and last evening I plugged into a garage receptacle and it flipped the breaker. The garage receptacle is on a ground fault breaker. All of my trailer breakers were in the off position when this happened.

After checking for loose wires ,grounds etc, we re-plugged into a house circuit instead of the ground faulted garage and no problem.

Any thoughts why we are tripping the ground fault breaker with no load from the trailer?

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby vairman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:39 pm

Hummmm thats one of those what If questions... Did you try a diffrent extstension cord? Other than that, you have something somewhere touching, Try this take an Ohm meter hold one lead to the ground prong on the trailer and check the other 2 prongs with the other lead... any reading other than 0 you have a short....

Greg :roll:

PS. make sure that everything is off and the trailer is dissconected from shore power... Be Safe...
Women are angels, but, when someone breaks their wings, they simply continue to fly on a broomstick.
vairman
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:05 pm

Larryl-

I had the same problem!

I believe mine was attributed to excessive moisture in the air, floor or whatever.

OR

Too much voltage drop to the GFCI.

In any event GFCI's are extremely sensitive devices and for good reason (even if they can be a pain from time-to-time).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chuck Craven » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:14 pm

Make sure that the neutral and hot is not wired backwards on one of your outlets or hardwired appliances.
Ground fault will trip only if it sees current flowing in the ground wire. Also check your ground “green” wiring is not going to a neutral white wire some place.
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets