Generator and air conditioner PLEASE HELP

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Generator and air conditioner PLEASE HELP

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:43 pm

mustangcats wrote:Based on all the information you have given, I would say the problem is:

1. The Honda is not big enough to handle the load for continuous operation.
2. The Champion is defective.

I agree that the Honda must be right on the edge of its capability. I stll think that forced cooloing of the Honda may help out but you will still be at the bleeding edge.

The Champion may not be defective but just FAR LESS capable. There is considerable truth inthe axiom that "you get what you pay for.". Honda and Yamaha generators cost 3 to 4 times what the other stuff does. Not without reason.

BTW: I looked but did not see mention of how big the trailer is. I am wondering if a 5k btu unit may not be a better solution and possibly run with the Honda?
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:21 am

For elevation, you can probably find a small regional or metropolitan airport as well....here in Indiana, you are never farther than about 15-20 minutes from at least one. KIND is the big one, but KMQJ, KUMP, KTYQ, KEYE and KHFY are all no more than 30 minutes away from each other. The elevation numbers are all available at www.airnav.com

Mountains will change that....a lot. But most of the US is pretty flat.

To parrot what's already been said....you get what you pay for, My Yamaha is a true champion. The champion is just trying to cash in on the name. The quality of connectors and electrical components are significant. Also, if you want to run electronics, I'm not going to trust my $1200 laptop to a generator who's sine wave looks like and EKG strip...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby snowrider500 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:39 pm

Is a 13,500 btu the smallest roof top unit that is on the market? I would like to put a smaller unit on top but haven't seen anything smaller that the one that I have. Would like to stay away from the window units. The trailer is only a 8x12 foot with 6 foot ceilings.
snowrider500
Teardrop Inspector

Postby OverTheTopCargoTrailer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:21 am

There is always an inverter mini split, it has a soft start 200 watts - to max 800 watts & requires only 1/2 the fuel , seer 19 vs. Seer 10 for your roof unit.

http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com
OverTheTopCargoTrailer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets