Hallelujah...and HELP! My panel arrived.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:19 pm

And I might as well post this here instead of starting another thread:

My 20 amp circuit is for the air. (The other two are 15s.) I planned on installing a 2-receptacle outlet in metal box, just surface mounted to the front wall next to the AC. (No way to cleanly/adequately recess it into the wall, and since the AC sticks out a few inches anyway, no big deal.)

Should I definitely use a GFI outlet here? I planned on using GFIs for the galley, in case of a sudden downpour, but I don't know if there's any reason to do so here, especially with my nearby breaker system, which is only going to be 2 feet away.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Nitetimes » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:23 pm

Ira wrote:Should I definitely use a GFI outlet here? I planned on using GFIs for the galley, in case of a sudden downpour, but I don't know if there's any reason to do so here, especially with my nearby breaker system, which is only going to be 2 feet away.

Really no need for it unless you are putting a pool or a spa in there too. Or maybe a wet bar.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby TomS » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:19 pm

Ira wrote:And I might as well post this here instead of starting another thread:

My 20 amp circuit is for the air. (The other two are 15s.) I planned on installing a 2-receptacle outlet in metal box, just surface mounted to the front wall next to the AC. (No way to cleanly/adequately recess it into the wall, and since the AC sticks out a few inches anyway, no big deal.)

Should I definitely use a GFI outlet here? I planned on using GFIs for the galley, in case of a sudden downpour, but I don't know if there's any reason to do so here, especially with my nearby breaker system, which is only going to be 2 feet away.

The breakers protect wireing. They do not protect people. Breakers work by detecting the TOTAL current passing through a circuit. When the current exceeds a the breaker's capacity, the breaker trips shutting down the circuit. So, let's say you have a 15 amp circuit. Depending on the circumstances, you can be electrocuted by far less current than that.

Proximity to the breaker system has no effect on the the GFCI. The GFCI works by comparing the current passing through the positive leg to the current passing through the negative leg of the curcuit. When the GFCI detects an imbalance, it shuts down the curcuit.

The easiest way to implement GFCI protection for the ENTIRE trailer is to use a GFCI protected extension cord like the yellow cord in the photo below. You only need one device to protect the entire trailer, provided you install it AHEAD of yor fuse box. You can get them in various lenghts and configurations at the big box stores. Simply plug one end into the campground's recepticle and the other end of your tear and Viola! Your're potected.

Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:00 pm

So in other words, for now, ignore any GFI outelts for the TD, and just use that thingy later right from the shore power, before it gets to my panel?

And you said fuse box, which I assume to also mean my breaker panel.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby TomS » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Ira wrote:So in other words, for now, ignore any GFI outelts for the TD, and just use that thingy later right from the shore power, before it gets to my panel?

And you said fuse box, which I assume to also mean my breaker panel.

Exactly.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ira » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Ahhh...that sounds less expensive for tomorrow, too!

And photos to come of my interior this weekend! I installed my bamboo tiki fence last week on the interior roof, but my arms were bleeding and scratching so much from the edges that I wasn't in the mood to take pictures.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets