wiring through the body?

Anything electric, AC or DC

wiring through the body?

Postby Al Swope » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:56 pm

I am finally getting around to putting an electrical system into my cargo trailer. I need a 10 gauge hot wire and ground to run from my battery box, which is mounted on the tongue, to the interior fuse block on the front wall of the CT. I am thinking just drilling a hole through the floor, running the wire, then fill the hole with silicon. How have you guys run wires from outside to inside your trailers?
Al Swope
Teardrop Builder

Re: wiring through the body?

Postby MtnDon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Floor.

For times the wall or roof is necessarythesemake it possible to get a very good seal/ Affix to the surface with something like sikaflex 252 and it will never come off. The fitting has a rubber grommet that squeezes down and seal around the wire. (alsoavailable in a double model on the same site)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby les45 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Check my electrical system in my journal at: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49333
Most of my electrical discussion starts on Page 5.
I ran my primary cables in clear tubing so I could pull the wires easily if I had to work on them later.
Interior wiring for cabin and running lights was run in Wiremold.
les45
500 Club

Postby noseoil » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:13 am

Don mentioned the cable glands to me & that's what I used for the solar system going into the roof. Had to go through the aluminum skin & was worried about leaks. Used Osi Quad caulk to bed them & tightened the nuts. No leaks.

On the bottom, I used bushings made from electrical conduit which I drilled & bonded into the deck with epoxy. Ran the conduit through the bushing & sealed the edges.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets