Fridge + solar - living full time in TD

Anything electric, AC or DC

Fridge + solar - living full time in TD

Postby Laurette » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

The plan is to build a TD to live full time in it for a climbing trip across north america in 2017. I'll rarely be in campsite with access to electricity ... So I guess I'll need some solar panels, I'm not sure of how many and what capacity yet.
I also couldn't figure out what would be the best solution fridge wise, I don't need something big but I need something I can keep cool all the time, any suggestions?

I really don't know much about electricity so thank you all for your advice and suggestions ;)
Laurette
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fridge + solar - living full time in TD

Postby H.A. » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:04 pm

Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:10 pm

We have a 185W high voltage panel intended for grid tie system, this required an MPPT controller and I chose a Morningstar Sunsaver this feeds into a 150AH Lifeline AGM. What this does is give usable current from sun up to sun down and with clouds and shade. We have a Waeco CF 50 12VDC 120VAC refrigerator the size of a cooler. The tear has a DVD/TV Sirus radio LED lights chargers for laptop etc. We spent eight days in a campsite on the North shore of Lake Superior and there was maybe one hour a day with full sun on the panel, at the end of the eight days we were at 64% state of charge, there is Victron battery monitor.
The refrigerator rides in the back of our Subaru and there is a plug in the back is direct wired to the battery and the battery wired to the battery in the trailer which means the solar panel will supply voltage to the refrigerator and can charge the TV battery.
Most of the small refrigerators seen to use a Dan Foss compressor the Engal a swing compressor.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:35 pm

TruckFridge sells the most affordable ac/dc chest type fridge/freezers that I'm aware of.

I bought a GrapeSolar 160 watt panel that will be mounted to the roof of my 64" wide teardrop largely to provide power to charge a battery to keep an ac/dc fridge freezer like the TruckFridge TF41, or a more costly ARB37, going day and night. I wrote more details here: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=64644#p1156446 .

A 100 watt solar panel might have been sufficient. They're readily available at affordable prices. 120 watt panels have become scarce to find. Renogy sells a 150 watt solar panel that is 39.5" x 39" that could fit on the roof of a narrower teardrop. It's currently on sale for $204.99.

I wanted to be sure to have more than adequate power even in adverse conditions so I bough the highest wattage panel that could be mounted to my teardrop's roof.

I'll also buy a mppt solar controller to harvest as much power as possible (they harvest up to 30% more power than less costly pwm solar controllers) from my solar panel.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:34 pm

How long would you stay in the same spot before moving camp? If you're staying more than a day or 2 in any spot, solar makes sense. Otherwise, a Charge While Towing setup might be enough to keep your batteries charged.

It sounds like you will need 12V refrigeration. You should check out this TruckFridge thread. They are having a model clearance right now, and it looks like a good time to buy. Just like at home, refrigeration is going to be a big part of the "electric bill."

There are several threads that discuss sizing your system to your needs. They can get pretty technical, but give it a try. We'll try to help. You have a somewhat bigger than average off-grid requirement.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Return to Electrical Secrets