Rear view camera on the tear.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Rear view camera on the tear.

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:42 pm

I have a back up camera in the Subaru and it makes hooking up to Compass Rose very easy as I can see the trailer ball. Shopping at Costco before Christmas I saw a Yada wireless backup camera :thinking:
One of the problems with a trailer that is wider than your TV is the mirrors are sort of wide enough to kind of get some idea of what might be back there... if you crane your head around.
I checked the Yada web site and there is a 30' range but would it go through the length of the trailer and the back of the TV?
One of the things I love about Costco is a very liberal return policy so I bought it and it has been sitting in the living room waiting for the return of CR from getting one side replaced. I picked it up last week.
Today after church I decided to see if there is sufficient range so plugged the monitor in to the power point, (they no longer call it a cigarette lighter), and used a 12V UPS backup battery to power the camera and, it worked.
Our license plate is attached to one of the fenders so my intent is to mount it on top of the trailer and will probably attach it to one of the solar panel mounts.

http://www.yadastore.com
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Rear view camera on the tear.

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Can you tell me, is the signal from the camera to the monitor ,Bluetooth? Also is the image on the monitor a mirror image? Is there a delay in the transmission of the signal or is it in real time. These are a few of the things I have run into investigating a system for my trailer. My ideal setup would be the ability to have 2 wireless cameras. One fixed on the ball, and a second camera on the back of the trailer. I am restoring a vintage Silver Streak and want a camera on the rear to help backing into camp sites. I travel alone and don't always have a spotter.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:13 pm

The camera is wide angel did not notice if it was mirror but do not think so, it is 2.4GHz Digital Wireless which is with in the blue tooth frequencies, can be paired with two cameras.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Jdw2717 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:17 pm

I have the eyeball remote camera for mine. I use it for backing up to the hitch. I tried to hook it under the trailer so I could back it up but the metal frame interfered with the signal. I did find that I could attach it to the open garage door and could watch the trailer as I backed it into the garage. This actually worked better because I had a wider range of view and with it being above the camper it did not interfere with the signal.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:The camera is wide angel did not notice if it was mirror but do not think so, it is 2.4GHz Digital Wireless which is with in the blue tooth frequencies, can be paired with two cameras.

Thanks for the info. I may look harder at this setup.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 pm

I wonder if one could mount it on the back of the trailer operating full time while vehicle power is on?
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:51 pm

According to the the manual you can and that is what I plan to do and there is one individual who hooked it up so it would work with the running lights. Since I travel most of the time with lights one an easy one to wire up.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Great...please post your results when you get yours. I would be willing to go with either wifi or hard wiring on one.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:01 am

lrrowe wrote:I wonder if one could mount it on the back of the trailer operating full time while vehicle power is on?

I've done that on my rig. See the signature pic, below. The camera is above the license plate, camera antenna is on the left side roof above the porch lite. Receiver/screen is on the rear view mirror. The signal has to go thru the shell back window, the truck back window, to the rear-view mirror. It works so-so, but I haven't really tried to make it better. The picture is intermittent. It's not purely plug & play, but close.

Almost forgot... the bike rack goes right in front of the camera. :( Plan ahead. :D
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby lrrowe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:15 am

capnTelescope wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I wonder if one could mount it on the back of the trailer operating full time while vehicle power is on?

I've done that on my rig. See the signature pic, below. The camera is above the license plate, camera antenna is on the left side roof above the porch lite. Receiver/screen is on the rear view mirror. The signal has to go thru the shell back window, the truck back window, to the rear-view mirror. It works so-so, but I haven't really tried to make it better. The picture is intermittent. It's not purely plug & play, but close.

Almost forgot... the bike rack goes right in front of the camera. :( Plan ahead. :D

I would consider hard wiring the camera if that made everything better.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:08 pm

Anyone tried this using any of the 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz equipment used for drones?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby roamer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:08 pm

If you have a smart phone, there are backup cameras you can put on back of the trailer and watch on your phone.
Dave

If you think you can't, you won't
roamer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:34 am

My intent is a glorified always on when moving, remote rear view unobstructed by the trailer. I have to figure out how to mount the camera. It will not be too soon as it is single digit temps and snowing.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:55 pm

slowcowboy wrote:I tried one once on a trip to Colorado......no good it was a Walmart cheapy and it could not get the singal back to the end of the teardrop...............so I elected to truck drive as I was trained on my job.......I bet the better qualitys ones work though and it would be interesting to play with them. slow

Is hard wiring a setup all the way to the back of the trailer perhaps the best solution at this time?
A cable jack at the hitch area would not be that bad to deal with it.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:00 pm

We now have results, it worked. Our first camping trip was over the last two days and the camera works well. It is wired to the marker lights so turning on the lights feeds the camera. I do not have a picture of the monitor in the car, it is mounted upside down because the camera is mounted upside down.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets