Circuit Breakers

Anything electric, AC or DC

Circuit Breakers

Postby Chello » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:36 am

What type of circuit breakers are people using to protect their wiring? Most people seem to put one on the main line going into the trailer to protect everything behind it. But if you only need the one breaker, are you installing a breaker panel with 1 breaker in it like a miniature house panel, or do they sell some kind of inline circuit breaker for these purposes? I've looked around online and cant seem to find inline circuit breakers, but maybe i'm just using the wrong terms.
Chello
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Circuit Breakers

Postby Jim.Johnson » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:47 am

I only have 12v wiring. I use a fuse block - like you might see in a car. Each run is fused separately.
Jim.Johnson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chello » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:28 am

And I guess that brings up another question.

I'm planning on having mainly 12v, but a few 110 outlets for use when we have shore power. On popular wiring diagrams here even on fused 12v circuits, people tend to have a circuit breaker before the fuse panel. Isn't that a little redundant? Is the circuit breaker then just protecting the block of fuses?
Chello
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:47 am

My 120 ac is fed from a state park breaker box so I never even considered a second breaker in line.

My fuzzy picture here shows my main 12 volt DC breaker then feeding four circuits protected with old school glass fuses.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:25 pm

I use a PD4045 Converter/Charger which provides for a main breaker and four or five branch breakers. I actually use the main and one 15A branch breaker.

All my lights, chargers, and fans run on 12VDC, and the converter provides up to 12 DC circuits, each with a fuse up to 20A (I think). I use 4 DC circuits.

I would always put a main breaker on the input side of the 120VAC and not rely just on the shore power breaker in the electric "tree."

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Colemancooler » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:26 pm

I used fuses, but i found these http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mo ... ush+Button. It would be more convenient than fuses, if you cad a problem
Colemancooler
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Apparently, the fuse by the battery and a separate fuse panel may stem from auto placement. The battery is in the engine compartment. The fuse panel is not. If there was a short in the wire going from the battery to the fuse panel, the "extra" fuse was there to protect the battery. Shorts are possible -- a cut in the insulation, lots of metal surface to conduct electricity, etc.

In a TD design where the battery is inches from the fuse block, this is a bit of an overkill. If the battery is on the tongue and the fuse box is in the galley, in spite of the general lack of conductive surfaces, the fuse by the battery is appropriate. The $10 fuse could save your $100+ battery.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:03 pm

We have the PD 4045 and a 30A in coming breaker and four 15A AC and all 12 12V DC two of the circuits have GFI outlets one in the Galley and one on the outside for the AC. I do not trust RV park pedestals. Too many incidents reported of faulty wiring.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:04 pm

We have the PD 4045 and a 30A in coming breaker and four 15A AC and all 12 12V DC two of the circuits have GFI outlets one in the Galley and one on the outside for the AC. I do not trust RV park pedestals. Too many incidents reported of faulty wiring.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:20 pm

We have an RV salvage yard nearby, so I got one of their converters from a class "A" for about $10. I primarily wanted it for the breakers and fuse panel. I just finished removing the AC-DC converter/battery boiling system and replaced it with a decent automatic 12v charger that weighs less than half the old unit. Yes, I have way more circuit capability than I'd ever need, but it does look cool having 5 110v breakers and 13 12v fuses.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:53 pm

Chello wrote:What type of circuit breakers are people using to protect their wiring? Most people seem to put one on the main line going into the trailer to protect everything behind it. But if you only need the one breaker, are you installing a breaker panel with 1 breaker in it like a miniature house panel, or do they sell some kind of inline circuit breaker for these purposes? I've looked around online and cant seem to find inline circuit breakers, but maybe i'm just using the wrong terms.

In context of mains power for small camptrailers, What you seek as an 'inline' circuitbreaker would probably best served by a DIN rail mounted circuitbreaker. They simply have line & load screwterminals.
A proper electrical assembly, it would need to be attached to DIN rail & mounted within a suitable enclosure.

Further down the list, There are numerous other circuitbreakers, using screw mounting tabs or various panel mount configuration, numerous wiring connection styles as well & Still needing a suitable enclosure.

Either of these options are easily available, But generally not at your local retail building supply or hardware store.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Chello » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:46 pm

In context of mains power for small camptrailers, What you seek as an 'inline' circuitbreaker would probably best served by a DIN rail mounted circuitbreaker. They simply have line & load screwterminals.
A proper electrical assembly, it would need to be attached to DIN rail & mounted within a suitable enclosure.

Further down the list, There are numerous other circuitbreakers, using screw mounting tabs or various panel mount configuration, numerous wiring connection styles as well & Still needing a suitable enclosure.

Either of these options are easily available, But generally not at your local retail building supply or hardware store.

I am experienced in household panels/wiring but was just wondering if I could avoid having to instal a small "spa" type panel just to house a couple breakers.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Chello
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:01 pm

My 1971 Aristocrat Lo-Liner "standy" trailer has a one circuit breaker panel. It has one 15A breaker for the entire trailer. No DC, three 120VAC lights, two duplex receptacles. It doesn't have to be elaborate or complicated.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chello » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:40 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:My 1971 Aristocrat Lo-Liner "standy" trailer has a one circuit breaker panel. It has one 15A breaker for the entire trailer. No DC, three 120VAC lights, two duplex receptacles. It doesn't have to be elaborate or complicated.

<Chas>

I'm not worried about it being complicated, my main concern is space. 1 breaker wired in-line without a box would save me a lot of space.
Chello
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:02 pm

Chello wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:My 1971 Aristocrat Lo-Liner "standy" trailer has a one circuit breaker panel. It has one 15A breaker for the entire trailer. No DC, three 120VAC lights, two duplex receptacles. It doesn't have to be elaborate or complicated.

<Chas>

I'm not worried about it being complicated, my main concern is space. 1 breaker wired in-line without a box would save me a lot of space.

My one-breaker box is about the size of a single-gang box.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets