Quick battery bank wiring questions

Anything electric, AC or DC

Quick battery bank wiring questions

Postby lfhoward » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I have three 12 volt deep cycle batteries that will be connected together and live in a tongue box on my trailer (12 volt system).

The charge controllers (plug-in plus solar) and the rest of my electronics including the 1000 watt inverter live inside the trailer itself. Thus, I will need heavy gauge cables connecting the batteries to the inverter & distribution center inside the trailer.

I am familiar with the need to have the load cables connect to + and - on opposite ends of the battery bank to equalize the electrical draw across all three batteries and maximize their lifespan.

Quick Questions:

1) Do the wires from the battery charger need to connect to the battery bank at opposite ends for the same reason (equalizing the charge), or can they go to the middle battery terminals, for example?

2) Can the charger instead be hooked up to the same load cables as the inverter on the trailer (power distribution) side (to eliminate the need of running separate charging wires into the tongue box)?

I am not familiar with the pros and cons of wiring the charger to the load cables rather than the battery terminals themselves. Would there be an issue when solar charging and running the inverter at the same time, for example?

Thanks for clarifying these issues for me before I set up the tongue box wiring!
Lauren
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Quick battery bank wiring questions

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm

I am interested in the answer to your question as well.. but that's going to be some heavy weight on that tongue.. like over 200 lbs?

Any worries about tongue weight as far as the TV goes?
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:38 pm

Those are good questions. The TV has a 500 lb tongue weight limit, but the batteries are 45 lbs each. If the trailer is 2000 lbs when I'm finished (it's a steel military trailer) and the tongue weight is approximately 10% of the trailer weight without batteries, that would add 200 lbs. So with batteries, we are looking at perhaps a 350 lb tongue weight?
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:21 pm

Generally converters and controllers play well together, I do not disconnect the controller when on shore power.
Since it is three batteries that means 12V batteries so wired in parallel. You need to have vents at the top of the tongue box as the batteries can vent hydrogen.
If the controller is going to be in the box with the batteries, you might want to consider it, keeping the wiring from controller to the battery bank short is a good idea, then ventilation is doubly important.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:04 pm

http://www.gearseds.com/files/twobat_onechgr2.pdf Here is a diagram for charging in parallel
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 pm

[
Last edited by H.A. on Sat May 14, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:12 am

H.A., Redneck Teepee, and Shadow Catcher, thanks for your informative answers. It is really going to simplify my wiring to have the battery charger and solar charge controller simply plug in to my BlueSea fuse panel with the correct amperage fuses than to run separate charging wires to the batteries with in-line fuse holders. Sweet.

The BlueSea fuse panel has 6 circuits. They will be:
1. Fantastic fan - 5A
2. Dome lights and reading lights - 5A
3. Power outlet (L) - 15A
4. Power outlet (R) - 15A
5. Solar charge controller - 10A
6. Battery charger - 20A
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:03 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Generally converters and controllers play well together, I do not disconnect the controller when on shore power.
Since it is three batteries that means 12V batteries so wired in parallel. You need to have vents at the top of the tongue box as the batteries can vent hydrogen.
If the controller is going to be in the box with the batteries, you might want to consider it, keeping the wiring from controller to the battery bank short is a good idea, then ventilation is doubly important.

Can you recommend a good waterproof vent that can be installed on a battery box? I am open to ideas. Thanks!
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lrrowe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:01 pm

I really struggled with this issue. For the battery box I bought which can hold four 6V batteries if I want I drilled a hole and forced fit a plastic plumbing fitting to a 1 1/4" hose I was able to finally locate in a Big Box Store. For the exit end, I did order a trailer fitting part and adapted it to the hose. In other words, it was a pain in the neck to construct.

If others do not post better and more informative replies to your question, I can go out and take photos for you and try to find the Brand names for the items used.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:21 pm

lfhoward wrote:Can you recommend a good waterproof vent that can be installed on a battery box? I am open to ideas. Thanks!

Were it mine, probably a plastic elbow of some kind.
Thats if I thought its was tight seal.

At any rate, I say holes in its bottom also.
1,Water is bound to get in & needs a drain.
2, if hydrogen needs to vent in quanity, it will go better with bottom venting too.
Further, excess hydrogen is developed, excess heat will be present as well what helps convecting an airflow.

If you are using flooded batteries, be prepared to see alot of corrosion on that shiny interior.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets