Source for low profile 110V boxes/outlets?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Source for low profile 110V boxes/outlets?

Postby jemo » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm getting the wiring figured out on my enclosed trailer and want to possibly put 110V plugs that are flush with the wall. Any advice on the best way to do this?

Jeff
jemo
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Source for low profile 110V boxes/outlets?

Postby Andrew Herrick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:47 pm

I'm not here to answer all your questions, Jeff. I'm still trying to figure out the answer for myself! :)

If you're using a sandwich wall construction with a 3/4"+ foam interior, then you can get by with shallow junction boxes from the big box stores. Good luck trying to squish all the wires for a middle-of-run outlet in there, though! I tried that, and didn't like it too much ...

I've also tried surface mount wiring and junction boxes, like what's used in garages and basements. You can either use metal conduit or PVC conduit, boxes, etc. If you're retrofitting a trailer, or if you've already built the structure and cabinetry, this is your best bet, probably.

Most RV outlets require a 1-1/2" deep space for installation. Most teardrops don't have that ... :thinking:

So far my best solution is just to confine all my electrical to the cabinetry and build mini chase walls. Not very flexible, but so far it's my best solution. Any body else have another idea?
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Re: Source for low profile 110V boxes/outlets?

Postby lrrowe » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:15 pm

I have 1 1/2" uprights in my walls and did the thin outlet box approach. Andrew is right on when he mentions the issue of cramming the wires into the small space. If I had it to do again, I would design external chases for all my wires. I am sure it would make my life easier when it comes to wiring, both AC and DC. Besides the tighness issue, it would make adjustments or additions easier. Who gets it all designed right the first time? Regarding the appearance, hey, it is still just a trailer.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets