I gotta Tail Light querstion

Anything electric, AC or DC

Postby Dennis T » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:55 am

OK, :NC
Can someone tell me "WHY" blue dots are illegal :QM
Can someone tell me "WHAT" their purpose is suppose to be :QM
I'm really dumb here and would like to know.

Dennis T
:wine:
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby Chris C » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:07 am

I'm no expert, but have you ever seen a "blue dot" tailight? They aren't really bright enough to qualify as tailights. They look cool, and were really popular back in the 40's and 50's, but I don't think they meet today's standards as to illumination levels.
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:12 pm

Don't know about other states but when I was FL I did some research in the state statutes. I got a ticket so I checked the statutes to see if I had a chance in court.

It said that auxillary lights lights that emit either red or blue light are not allowed. You can turn them on while parked but not while moving.

I guess they don't want any cop wannabes pulling people over. They probably made a blanket statement and left it up to police discretion.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Spadinator » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:22 pm

As one who writes traffic tickets......flame suit put on.....the blue dot thing is pretty minimal in my eyes. I look for something more substantial to pull you over. Just having a blue dot on your tail light isn't enough....unless..... you look like the type of person I WANT to pull over!!!

:D :twisted:
Never do anything you don't want to explain to the paramedics.
Spadinator
500 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:35 pm

Spadinator wrote:As one who writes traffic tickets......flame suit put on.....the blue dot thing is pretty minimal in my eyes. I look for something more substantial to pull you over. Just having a blue dot on your tail light isn't enough....unless..... you look like the type of person I WANT to pull over!!!

Guess I better forget about 'em then, cause I always look like that guy 8) 8)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:18 pm

Nitetimes wrote:
Spadinator wrote:As one who writes traffic tickets......flame suit put on.....the blue dot thing is pretty minimal in my eyes. I look for something more substantial to pull you over. Just having a blue dot on your tail light isn't enough....unless..... you look like the type of person I WANT to pull over!!!

Guess I better forget about 'em then, cause I always look like that guy 8) 8)

you and me both brother, you and me both :x ....................................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:12 pm

I came across these LED replacements for the 38-40 Ford tail lights... there's 36 LED's in them, and you just plug them into the existing bulb socket.

Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:45 pm

Ken A Hood wrote:I came across these LED replacements for the 38-40 Ford tail lights... there's 36 LED's in them, and you just plug them into the existing bulb socket.

Ken those are neat, where'd you find them? and where in Ontario are you? (It's a big province!!!) :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mitheral » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:24 pm

Dennis T wrote:OK, :NC
Can someone tell me "WHY" blue dots are illegal :QM
Can someone tell me "WHAT" their purpose is suppose to be :QM
I'm really dumb here and would like to know.

Back in the days of 6V, small lense, generator powered systems the blue dot style lights were much dimmer. Now of course blue dots could be done safely but the law stands.
Or if you've just got a ticket it's so the cops could harrass the customisers in the 50s. ;) Like how it's illegal here now to have a larger outlet on a muffler than stock. It lets cops hassle ricers even if they are otherwise not bothering anyone.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Blue dots more info

Postby sdtripper2 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:57 pm

Dennis & Ross Wade:

See first post to see picture of light covering = Blue dot on a red background.

There are some states that allow these blue dot on a red background lights for motorcycles & vintage cars. The dot must not exceed one inch of blue, so as not to be confused with offical vehicles.

The states that have this law are few it seems right now. The reason that there is a ground swell to have the not to exceed 1" blue dot on lights with red mostly is that the human eye picks up the blue farther away. Bikers are pushing for this law, as they have an unwritten target on them most days when they run the roads.

Now I am not an expert on this subject as just today I have started my look see into the blue dot light as it is a pleasent sight as seen in the start of the thread. Mostly these lights seem to have state laws that would attach them to motorcycles. However one state (Minnisota) seems to have a more liberal aproach to this subject.

Look below Dennis & Mitheral at my findings so far.

North Carolina seems not to have this blue dot law enachted from the info I have been looking at for Ross Wade the starter of this thread. Seems bikers are trying in that state.

Minnesota (Look Page 2) motorcycles and collector vehicles see text

Georgia and Illinois

Pennsylvania
In separate legislative action, Mullendore reports the introduction of Pennsylvania House Bill 901by Representative Kerry Benninghoff to amend Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes by adding a section 4310 to read - "Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb running lights and various colors of valve stem caps, light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips, light wire, neon tubes and strobe lights
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania is currently pursuing such legislation through the introduction of HB 2133, by Representative Kerry A. Benninghoff of Bellefonte, which reads; "Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb running lights and various colors of valve stem caps, light-emitting diode (LED) pods and strips, light wire, neon tubes and strobe lights."
Pennsylvania link #2

South Dakota
FEELIN' BLUE? South Dakota has joined a short list of states that allow motorcyclists to use "Blue Dot" taillights; so-called because a small blue plastic lens insert creates a purplish hue when the brake light is actuated. Riders argue that the after-market lighting device enhances safety through increased visibility.
South Dakota link
The new law allows that "A motorcycle may display a blue light of up to one-inch diameter as part of the motorcycle's rear brake light," and it passed the House of Representatives by a vote of 69-1 on January 31, and the Senate 34-1 on February 9. Governor Michael Rounds signed HB 1151 into law on February 13, joining Minnesota, Nevada and Washington with similar laws on the books. Most states only allow blue lights on the rear of road maintenance and emergency vehicles.

Bottom line, check out your DMV for the state where you live in for the laws that apply. Most say nix cause of only use of blue lights flashing or steady for law enforcement, fire vehicles or the rear of road maintenance and emergency vehicles. Got to admit the blue dot light for a vintage trailer would be kewl. Seems like Minnesota comes as close to that dream as I see it now? Maybe someone else has more information?

Best luck to all those that want the thin blue line to accept their blue dots.
Last edited by sdtripper2 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:36 pm

;) Blue lights are reserved for law enforcement it's that simple.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby RKH » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:44 pm

Blue lights are reserved for law enforcement it's that simple

In most places, true. Just north of here, in PA, most of the volunteer fire fighters run flashing blue lights as well. I haven't seen them used for that anywhere else.

One other thing to rememebr in this discussion is safety inspections. If you have to have one to get your new build on the road or if you need one periodically to keep it on the road, make sure you're cvered with red until the paper is signed.
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:18 pm

That is exactly the reason my 1950 reproduction Pontiac lights don't have the blue dot. Maybe later 8) . Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets