Simple Power

Anything electric, AC or DC

Simple Power

Postby les45 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:46 am

I have decided on my latest project (A Different Kind of Pop-up) that I do not need a battery or converter since we only camp at parks with power. I have sketched out a very basic wiring diagram for the modified pop-up that basically takes the inlet power (15A) and runs it through a glorified junction box using three small bus bars and then distributes three branches to my various receptacles and DC power supply. An old computer power supply (switched) will then furnish my 12 volt DC requirements to my Fantastic Fan and lighting. The physical layout will consist of a plastic AC junction box and the DC power supply bolted to the floor under one of the forward dinette seats. Access will be through a hinged seat bottom. I know that I have to isolate the hot bus bar well and I'll only be able to use one major appliance at a time. Does anyone see any other issues with this basic configuration?

les45
500 Club

Re: Simple Power

Postby troubleScottie » Mon May 23, 2016 11:15 am

No fuses is the biggest issue.

You might be better off plugging into a fused power strip or an inline gfci/fuse extension cord or multiple outlet extension with fuse and/or gfci. Camp grounds do not have the best power systems. And you will be basically be using electricity in a puddle on occasion.

A small breaker box would be safer and designed to handle the load. A 4 to 10 breaker box is under $50 and the breakers are only $5. Not that much for a safer installation.

I hope there are at least gfci outlets.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Mon May 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Std.
Last edited by H.A. on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby les45 » Tue May 24, 2016 9:10 am

I appreciate the feedback and, based on the comments, I have changed my concept. I now plan to use a small load center with two tandem 15 amp breakers which will give me four circuits. I didn't mention it previously but my plan was and is to use a GFCI for my one outside receptacle. The load center may be overkill but it turns out that it is cheaper than buying a non-metallic box plus the three bus bars. I'm looking at the box in the pic below:

les45
500 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets