Wiring help please

Anything electric, AC or DC

Wiring help please

Postby vitya-velik » Mon May 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Is the fuse block the same as amp breaker box? I am using the wiring diagram below but only for 12v wiring system. Could I make my own ground block? How would I?

Are these all the things I need to wire my teardrop for 12v power with a solar panel.
100 watt solar panel.
Charge controler
2 12 v 35amp batteries
40 amp breaker
Ground block
Fuse block
20 amp fuses.
Master switch?

Then all my lights fan 12v outles and usb ports.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk
vitya-velik
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Wiring help please

Postby jcricket » Mon May 30, 2016 9:46 pm

vitya-velik wrote:Is the fuse block the same as amp breaker box? I am using the wiring diagram below but only for 12v wiring system. Could I make my own ground block? How would I?

Are these all the things I need to wire my teardrop for 12v power with a solar panel.
100 watt solar panel.
Charge controler
2 12 v 35amp batteries
40 amp breaker
Ground block
Fuse block
20 amp fuses.
Master switch?

Then all my lights fan 12v outles and usb ports.

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

A fuse and a breaker serve the exact same function. The difference is when the fuse blows you have to replace it. When the breaker trips you reset it.

A ground block is nothing more then a central point to attach all ground(or common for 12v systems only) wires. Ground and neutral have different meanings in AC voltage. Chassis(or ground) is frequently used in 12vdc systems. Your schematic is pretty stright forward and looks like it would work well.

Question, two 35 amp batteries? You mean two 12 v car batteries correct?

I don't see a provision in your schematic for the solar panel.

I think you are off to a good start.

EDIT your cabin, galley and hatch lights need switches
oops, outlets not lights. -- good job
jcricket
Teardrop Inspector

Postby H.A. » Mon May 30, 2016 11:14 pm

B :beer:
Last edited by H.A. on Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue May 31, 2016 8:27 am

In theory the ground block could be anything.... Simplest may be same style block as used in AC power circuits...

OR

As for using a fuse block, simple answer is yes it acts the same as a circuit breaker common on 120 and 240 Volt ac circuits...

And when selecting fuse blocks, consider some will have built in ground blocks..

Many different styles of fuse/ground blocks to choose from.... Many other will also chime in with what they used and why or why not to use them...

Also when selecting fuses, some of the newer ATC-ATO style fuses have built in LED so when fuse actually blows the LED will light to indicate which fuse is bad.... Not necessary but might be convenience on cold dark rainy night...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby cleonard » Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 pm

You show 8ga wire on the positive between the battery and the converter, but only 12ga on the negative. Use 8ga for both. Depending on the current capability of the converter you might even need larger wire.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
cleonard
Teardrop Builder

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:43 am

Use LED lighting. I have 8total led lights, and a Fantastic fan. With all on and running the fan on high, my use is 7.5amps. I'll never have all the lights on at once. My power supply is rated 14amps. Think, light weight, functional, and keep it easy.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby David Marsh Sr. » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:30 pm

Looks pretty good I would change the location of you breaker to between the master switch and battery + to protect the 8 ga wire to the charger and change the neg from charger to the ground block to a # 8 ga wire other than that restricting amperage I would add # 8. ga from - battery to ground block again restricting amperage !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David Marsh Sr.
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets