Fusing fantastic vent fan

Anything electric, AC or DC

Fusing fantastic vent fan

Postby mariannf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:09 am

Hi all, I am installing a fantastic vent fan on my first build. It has 16 awg wire. from my fuse box I used 14 awg wire and connected them with a butt connector. The fuse box is connected to a 12 v battery and I had a 7 amp fuse for the fan as its only load at that terminal. Problem was the fan didn't work. It only worked once I swapped out the 7amp fuse for a 15 amp fuse. I know the draw is only 4.5 amps on the fan.
I switched out the wire from the fuse box to the fan again using 14 awg and again the fan only ran with the 15 amp fuse installed. I didn't have a 10 amp fuse or I would have tried it.
What do you think is going on? Is this typical?
Many thanks in advance!
Mariann
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Re: Fusing fantastic vent fan

Postby lrrowe » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:57 am

I know this is going to sound like I am picking on you, but did you make sure all the switches on the fan were on the "on" position and that the fan lid was open a crack or more? I ask this because I thought something was wrong with my setup when I first wired it. The fan will not run if the lid is closed.

At least on my model it would not work.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 am

Was the first fuse actually blown when the fan quit?

Very right that the fan won't run with the cover down.

Have you a multimeter so you can see if you have voltage right at the fan?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:01 am

First time in the spring my F fan does not run. Turns out that the in/out switch is flaky so I need to switch it, in/out in/out a few times to get t he fan running. I assume th swich contacts are mildly corroded an definately under used.

My F fan also has a fuse right by the fan speed control. 4amp only
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mariannf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:13 am

MtnDon wrote:Was the first fuse actually blown when the fan quit?

Very right that the fan won't run with the cover down.

Have you a multimeter so you can see if you have voltage right at the fan?

Hi all and thanks. Yes the fan lid was open and I turned the fan from off to on. No worries about asking things like this! I asked myself the same question. My fan also has a 4 amp fuse built in to it. Should be attaching it direct to the battery rather than through my fuse terminal? I tried multiple fuses a 5 amp and then tow different 7 amp fuses.
What do you all think?
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby DrewsBrews » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:37 am

The more fuses, the safer it is. You always want to fuse connections as close to the battery as possible, that way if something cuts into the wire between the battery and the fan it won't have a direct battery connection which would otherwise give full amps and potentially cause a fire.

The internal fuse in the fan is to protect the fan, while the fuse at the battery is to protect the rest of the trailer.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby mariannf » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:45 am

Update: based on the series of simple questions posed here I went back and retraced my steps. Infact the 7 amp fuse that I used originally had been blown. I replaced them15 amp fuse with a new 7 amp and it worked fine! Thanks so much you all. There are no questions to simple to be asked so I appreciate all your help that got me just to look at the fuses!
mariannf
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 am

:thumbsup: :applause: :beer:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets