Adding Air Condition To Teardrop

Anything electric, AC or DC

Adding Air Condition To Teardrop

Postby Paul Massie » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Any thoughts on air conditioning a teardrop?

I'm thinking of building a double box like this. Inner box would vent through floor with a 3" or 4" PVC fitting like used for toilet. This would provide the cooler fresh air. I would also drain condensation via this whole. Hot exhaust would blow out the back and then move to the left side (from top view) where it would also exhaust through another 3" or 4" hole through the floor.

All vent holes would have vent covers to prevent critters from finding their way in. Top and bottoms would be covered and the box would break in half 4" up so it can be lifted off to access AC if needed. I'll also have to find a way to add electrical in box for the plug.

I know its a lot of space to sacrifice, but AC is one of the main reasons I'm building a Teardrop for camping. I'm tired of the hot sweltering nights when we are out camping. I'm trying to minimize exterior holes and like the idea of venting through the floor so it won't matter if it is raining or not.
Attachments
AC2.JPG
AC2.JPG (42.68 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
AC1.JPG
Top and bottom lid will be added to seal airflow. Vents will be opened in the bottom. One for intake and the other for exhaust.
AC1.JPG (100.46 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
Paul Massie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Adding Air Condition To Teardrop

Postby steve cowan » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:42 pm

Looks like it should work if the exhaust isn't to restricted by turning the 90 degree bend.

Ours is a modified window shaker connected with hoses.

Read Shadow Catchers "sticky" in Electrical section on modifying a 5000btu frigidaire for some good ideas.
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:41 pm

Paul Massie wrote:Any thoughts on air conditioning a teardrop?

I'm thinking of building a double box like this. Inner box would vent through floor with a 3" or 4" PVC fitting like used for toilet. This would provide the cooler fresh air. I would also drain condensation via this whole. Hot exhaust would blow out the back and then move to the left side (from top view) where it would also exhaust through another 3" or 4" hole through the floor.

All vent holes would have vent covers to prevent critters from finding their way in. Top and bottoms would be covered and the box would break in half 4" up so it can be lifted off to access AC if needed. I'll also have to find a way to add electrical in box for the plug.

I know its a lot of space to sacrifice, but AC is one of the main reasons I'm building a Teardrop for camping. I'm tired of the hot sweltering nights when we are out camping. I'm trying to minimize exterior holes and like the idea of venting through the floor so it won't matter if it is raining or not.

I believe you'll be sadly disappointed in the performance of your AC with the venting choices your asking about. On the exhaust side without some kind of fan your going to have a hard time convincing the warm/hot air to flow down since heat rises. Also a single 3 or 4 inch vent isn't going to allow enough air to be moved. Look at the back of the AC and measure the exhaust area. You'll have to have that much vent space in square inches thru your floor. Any elbows pointing down ward will act as a restriction in air flow. This will impede preformance. The same goes for the condenser air vents on each side of the sheetmetal case.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Martin has it right, with not enough air flow the coils will freeze up, (I found that out the hard way). This is the write up and lessons learned, often the hard way. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44561

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Paul Massie wrote:Any thoughts on air conditioning a teardrop?

Mark in his Little Swiss Teardrop Trailer did a similar arrangement in venting and exhausting air through the bottom of the floor of his teardrop. It has worked very well. Here is a link to the air conditioner portion of his build: http://www.littleswissteardrop.com/air.html .
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:26 am

Having either the condenser intake, or exhaust venting underneath shouldn't be a huge issue. This can be beneficial for the intake to draw cool air in. Venting the exhaust out the bottom leads to some heating of the floor before it escapes around the sides though can still be viable option.

The bigger issue is when putting the condenser intake and exhaust vent underneath. The warm exhaust air wants the path of least resistance to rise.. which will often be the intake right next to it.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Return to Electrical Secrets