Power to my build...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Power to my build...

Postby freez111 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:29 pm

Long time lurker, First time poster!

I am bargain shopping to put power to my build.

I have the opportunty to buy this, 60 AMP ELIXIR POWER CONVERTER/CHARGER MODEL: ELX-60/50, to run an 5000 btu AC, TV and 12 volt to a few lights.

Is this overkill? potential issues?? Too much power??

any help is appreciated

freez
freez111
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Power to my build...

Postby GuitarPhotog » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Given that I can't find any technical specs such as for battery charging cycles, or number and size of DC circuits, or number of AC circuit breaker positions, or who made it or who will honor a warranty repair, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

You can get a US made Progressive Dynamics PD4045 of known origin, support, and capabilities for about double what the Unknown Elixer is selling for on EBay. Oh, I don't find any authorized dealers anywhere but on EBay. I don't consider that any kind of recommendation for a device that will be the heart of your electrical system.

When I built my teardrop electrical system, I thought I needed to cut costs, and bought a WFCO WF8230(??) on EBay for a similar price. It failed on a camping trip and required 3 weeks for warranty repair. It failed again on the very next camping trip! I removed it and spent the extra money for the Progressive Dynamics converter.

BTW, the converter does not provide 120 VAC power from 12 VDC. To do that you need an Inverter. And search here for advice on running an A/C off a battery.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:47 pm

+1 :thumbsup:

GuitarPhotog hit the nail on the head. Why take shortcuts on the electrical system. I'd build my own power dist.system before I'd buy something of unknown origins. I priced individual componets when I started my build and its tough to compete with the PD4045 pricewise.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:00 pm

The new PD 4135 is about $30 less than the 4045 and smaller too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Electrical Secrets