Unplugging from tow vehicle

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Unplugging from tow vehicle

Postby lrrowe » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 am

GuitarPhotog wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I might be a little confused on this one. If you do not have anything on the trailer draining or drawing power, then why bother with unplugging, that is if you are not removing the trailer from the TV.

If all your trailer lights (call them off grid lights i.e., reading lights, pumps, USB usage and so forth)'are drawing 12v from the TD/CT's house batteries, then again, there is no drain on the TV's battery.

If the two batteries are connected in parallel (the usual method), you will discharge BOTH batteries simultaneously. Just because one is closer to the load doesn't cause the trailer battery to be used preferentially.

<Chas>
:beer:

I wasn't thinking the batteries were connected. Just two different systems.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:27 am

lrrowe wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:
lrrowe wrote:I might be a little confused on this one. If you do not have anything on the trailer draining or drawing power, then why bother with unplugging, that is if you are not removing the trailer from the TV.

If all your trailer lights (call them off grid lights i.e., reading lights, pumps, USB usage and so forth)'are drawing 12v from the TD/CT's house batteries, then again, there is no drain on the TV's battery.

If the two batteries are connected in parallel (the usual method), you will discharge BOTH batteries simultaneously. Just because one is closer to the load doesn't cause the trailer battery to be used preferentially.

<Chas>
:beer:

I wasn't thinking the batteries were connected. Just two different systems.

If your trailer plug on your vehicle is always hot, then essentially yes, it's like your batteries are connected together. It's also possible that the TV has some kind of isolator system which will kill the power to the trailer if the TV battery gets below a certain voltage, but I wouldn't count on that.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby Crabapple » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 am

aggie79 wrote:
H.A. wrote:

For the above scenario, short term.
Nothing detrimental occurs leaving both batteries connected.
Just dont park the car & leave them plugged together days on end.

The above is true only if both batteries are charged equally. If one or the other is lower voltage, they will equalize with no intervening disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 100W portable solar panel that I use to keep my trailer battery charged and running my Indel B fridge/freezer when camping without shore power. I always disconnect the tow vehicle. So if I kept trailer plugged into tow vehicle the solar would be charging both batteries?
Crabapple
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Crabapple wrote:I have a 100W portable solar panel that I use to keep my trailer battery charged and running my Indel B fridge/freezer when camping without shore power. I always disconnect the tow vehicle. So if I kept trailer plugged into tow vehicle the solar would be charging both batteries?

Theoretically yes, but that all depends on how your vehicle is wired. The plug might give power out and not accept power in. Every vehicle is different so it's impossible to tell unless you find wiring diagrams or just try it out and see.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets